1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wideout vs Boss Vxt

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by hammerdstone, Aug 27, 2014.

1. hammerdstone

hammerdstone Junior Member

Ok I know this is another Wich one is better / wich one should I buy But sorry that's why we are here for each other . Its going on a 2015 F350 SD, I just dummped 2 myers and will never look back , But im looking to cut my plow time in half compared to plowing with my old rinky dinky myers, I have a boss as well and it has never ever ever given me a issue . I do alot of residential and some commercial . Im looking for someone who has operated both units and there opinions , if i were to get the Vxt pretty sure ill b putting wings on it but not sure if it will be akward to maneuver threw developments,,, Im new to v plows and have never operated one. I have 70 residential and 4 parking lots , TIME KILLED ME LAST YEAR ,,,,,Please help any info would b great !!! Thank you
  2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have a BOSS V 7'6" and a V 8'2", I put wings on them and never take them off. I do 90% residential. The 8.2 with wings is 10 feet wide. I have no problems, the wider the better for some of these dumb driveways with sharp turns, keeps you from driving over your rear tire tracks. With out a V I would spend 50% more time moving snow, as some driveways it all has to go in the same place.
  3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

They are two different styles of plow, kind of hard to compare and give you an idea which is better for your situation without knowing what you plow exactly. They both push snow and very well at that
  4. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

With that many residential accounts I would strongly recommend having a v plow in ur fleet.
  5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The Wideout and other expandables shine on larger properties, ie 2+ acres, or tight properties where snow has to be carried a longer distance.

For residential, I'd have V plows with wings. 8'2" and wings would be a good fit for most things, you can always drop the wings if it's too wide.
  6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If stacking piles is a concern then you can forget about the Boss. They can't stack nearly as well as a Wideout (or any other Western for that matter).
  7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I was just letting someone else start that argument this time. :D
  8. hammerdstone

Well Ive never had a problem stacking snow, Im really looking for volume per push and durability , to me if you stack snow the correct way every time you plow and efficiently stack as high and far back as you can with out being in a rush then stacking would not b an issue . Now if your in a rush and being sloppy about it and cant wait to get to the next push and not stacking correctly then yes stacking would eventually become an issue for me with the meyers. Thats just imo.. Your feed back is great and much appreciated
  9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I have used to have the 9'2 boss v and now I use the xls which is very similar to the western. Hands down I would get the wideout. I clear driveways much faster with it than the boss v plow. 10 feet wide and one pass some driveways are done. Another reason I love it that not many people mention is that I can co lapse it to 8 feet and get small areas.
  10. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

It also carries snow a lot better. The only time I like the v is on a couple of my drives that are over a mile long with steep hills when there is over 15 inches of heavy wet snow. It is still doable with the xls, but not quite as easy.

Since you don't get too much snow I would Def go with the wodeout
  11. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I do all commercial, with that said I will always have a 'V' plow in my ever-growing fleet. I have 3 wideouts now and will never drop that 4th V. It can do a lot the wideout cannot in those tight areas, and almost every site has a tight spot.

I would buy a WESTERN v-plow and then a wideout with your next truck. Like other have said the v with wings really shines in tight areas. The wideout I sneak in places, but to really gain the productivity you need open lots.
  12. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Is that because its Chain Lift???............That's good to know....Chain Lifts stack Higher and Also save Transmissions.........:drinkup:......Thumbs Up
  13. hammerdstone

Also the boss dealer is 2 miles away , western is kinda far , i had my heart set on the wideout , but after looking at the dxt with wings wow !, This is going to b hard , keep the info flowing guys thank you
  14. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, exactly. The plow stacks higher because it uses a chain lift mechanism vs the direct lift system that's offered by Boss.

I've heard that chain lifted plows also save transmissions but I don't believe that one's ever been proven.
  15. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

With the wideout and the prodigy you get the best of both world, straight blade and a v. The prodigy is nice and heavy which is good for back dragging. You can never go wrong with a western plow.
  16. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

A v can do everything a wideout can. But a wideout can't do everything a v can
  17. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

18. Defcon 5

This is Debate that will never be won on here.....You Keep your "V" and I will keep my XLS and we will both be Happy.......:drinkup:
  19. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

It's not really debatable. It's common sense

Trying to push a straight blade through a 3 ft drift usually doesn't work too good lol.
  20. Defcon 5

So....Your saying I have No common sense for owning XLSs.....Interesting....