1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wideout vs Blizzard SW

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by traviswalker007, Aug 29, 2008.

?

Western Wideout or Blizzard SW

Poll closed Sep 7, 2008.
  1. Western Wideout

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. Blizzard Speed Wing

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

Ready to buy a new plow this year, already have westerns for my other trucks but been considering a Blizzard SW or western wideout.....Speedwing has been out for a while but the wideout is fairly new...any help would be apreaciated...

2. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

from what ive gathered at the dealer western purchased blizzard to modifie there 810 just what ive heard dunno if its true i do know that the blizzard 810 can handle some abuse know a guy who hit a frozen pile of snow doing 40 mph and the wings didnt not break

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yeah just stay western, for parts reasons, for transporting your plow if needed on another truck... they are red, match the rest of what you got, im sure they both break.....

4. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

I have both if you do a search we had this discussion last winter dont know how to link threads though

5. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

7. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I have a mount that suction cups to the box sides, fenders, lights, and glass.

Jon

8. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Jon, is the Wideout as good as the 810? I thought you were one that wasnt too fond of the Western?

9. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

i ordered a wide-out today for a few reasons....the blizz if you blow a hydro line the plow is stuck on the ground whereas a western you can go into a bank of snow and shorten the chains and drive back to the shop, second the framing looks heavier on the wide-out, and also the contoller for the blizard is big and gay and the western is a small handheld keypad controller thing. but one thing that my blizzard dealer said is since western bought blizzard that the plows will be interchangeable so you can put a blizz on a western and a western on a blizz now thats just what i heard

10. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

you can pin the blizzard up. push into a bank and there is a pin hole on the bottom of the a frame that will keep the plow up. I dont see how any componant can be interchanged, maybe if you spice the blizz plug into a western controler. but i prefer the joystick controler. we are working on a custum controler for the wideout based on the old western joystick. hand helds suck. you have 2 hands and, a steering wheel, plow controler to hang on to, a phone to answer cofffee to drink,and cig to smoke.too many times controler ends up on floor in puddle of salt water.

11. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

i would go western

blizzards dealer support sucks

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How stupid is this comment?

My Blizzard dealer is the best.

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

really, you already use western, why switch to anouther brand, unless you really feel that there is a quality difference between the two, they have similar fuctions, and similar design

14. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Each has it's benefits.:salute: I like the Ultra Mount. When the plow horns are off the truck, it doesn't look as much like a plow truck like a Blizzard push beam does. I like them both, both have plus' and minus'. I like the dealer support we have in our area, and now we have a very good dealer carrying Blizzard.:yow!: And the red plow on a white truck looks nice.:dizzy:

Jon

15. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I love it. Sig Line suggests you are a Fisher fan?

I believe the support level for all DD plows is going to be the same on DD's part, the dealer chooses how he delivers it.

Jon

16. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Gotcha. I have a Blizzard 810, but our nearest dealer is 3 hours away. The Western dealer is only 45 minutes. Looking at another plow for this season, just deciding between the wideout, 810, or just a Western V.