1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wideout questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by chucksorce, Feb 22, 2014.

1. chucksorce

chucksorce Junior Member
    from 07866

Well this winter has been a tough one and my 12' wideout is showing signs of it. I lost one of the plastic rub rails on the back of the wing and im loosing the thin plastic coating on the bottom of the wing as well and my plow is getting scratched because of it. What does western use to attach these to the plow, how do I get replacements and most importantly is there anything I can do to keep these from falling off in the future??

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Bubble gum......I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I didn't know they made a 12' WO I thought they was 8-10'

4. 1olddogtwo

Think it was the year, 2012.

5. chucksorce

chucksorce Junior Member
    from 07866

sorry year is a 2012, also is the speed on the wings adjustable at all?

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Speed on wings is fixed except for the little brass restricted fittings at the base of the hoses under two elbows. If these were left out or in the wrong place /way the wings move too fast. Those nylon runners are just stuck on with double sided tape. They never stay on and I don't bother replacing them after the 2nd pair.

7. 1olddogtwo

Extending out no, retracting in,sort of.

8. 1olddogtwo

Haha, I wonder how many timing those have been forgotten.

9. mishnick

The office plates restrict the wings only on retraction. At least that's what they r supposed to do if installed correctly.

10. chucksorce

chucksorce Junior Member
    from 07866

Thanks guys

11. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Those Plastic slide are replacable from your western dealer around $8 a pc. Now make sure the surface is clean dry and warm when replacing them. I also used an all around Epoxy Glue in addition to the sticky tape when I replaced a set last season and there still there today doing there job No signs of metal on metal
    wearing

12. mishnick

The epoxy glue thing is a good idea but I am thinking I will ditch the nylon and just put a strip of epoxy where the strip would go. Red Wing boot stores sell a product you mix and then apply to the toe of your work boots. It's thick and very durable, feels like nylon when it's dry and remains flexible like nylon. A fellow could just mask a section behind the wing, where the metal rubs, and apply a couple layers of this. Of course you want a warm dry shop and to use a scotch guard pad first to give it something to stick to.