1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western wideout good or bad

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by exclusive, Oct 16, 2010.

1. exclusive

exclusive Member

Hey guy i might be buying a 2010 gmc 3500 gas with a western wideout plow i would like to know if anybody has any input on this plow if its good or bad pro and cons thanks in advance for your help

2. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I have a 2500hd chevy with a wideout. With my old plow(7.6 unimount) I would have to take the wings on and off and that blew! My truck is still wired for both plows and I love the wideout. I'll cry like a baby the night it breaks and I have to go back to the unimount. I would recommend calling jerre for the different cutting edges..ussmileyflag

3. exclusive

exclusive Member

whos jerre and do you have a number thanks

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Jerres Edges are $600 Bucks

I have a XLS....Pretty Much the same concept as the Wideout..Just Trip edge vs.Full trip and thats personal preference...It is the Most Productive Plow i have ever used...You will not be sorry with the Purchase...:drinkup:

5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

jerres.com

6. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

can you elaborate on this?

7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

He probably has the ultramount to unimount conversion kit on his truck...? Thats the only thing I can think of.

8. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I purchased my wideout mid season last year and got 6 uses so far and wished I had it the whole season I love this plow,I cant think of pushing snow with anything less. A vee blade is nice however in the scoop position the blades cant angle / turn, with a wideout in the scoop position the blade can be angled full right or left Get a wideout and you'll never go back to a regular straight blade

9. Joneso8

Joneso8 Member

I love my wideout. 2 years with it, no problems at all. best plow ive ever used.

10. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

Sorry I should of elaborate on that post a little more. Yes i was referring to jerres.com and yes those cutting edges are about 600.00 but they have built in curb guards and are worth every penny. It is the most productive plow I've ever owned and the post about using a conversion kit is correct. Sorry about the vague post.

11. michaelw76

michaelw76 Junior Member

I'm purchasing an Isuzu NRP HD. I have both commercial and residential accounts and am trying to decide between the western wideout, western mvp and the boss power v xt.

I've heard a lot of really good things about the wideout, and the boss power v xt

Does anyone have any suggestions?!?

My only concern w the wideout is the durability of the wings, has anyone had any problems from hitting a curbs or anything.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  12. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

Wideout

4th season with my wideout. No problems with it until last year. Plowed a road without top coat of blacktop.(Been plowing it for 2 yrs new development). Had the wings all the way out 10' which was a mistake on my part. Wing caught just right on concrete curb/drain and twisted the hell out of the wing. Had to replace entire wing, pin and slide. Lesson learned never have wing all the way out near curbs etc. Also trying new set of poly edges this year from fallline out of nevada they are $97 versus the $160 that western wants. I plow alot of commercial and residential. I love the plow but can't find a western dealer I like anymore. I do all the repairs/maint etc myself now. My next plow might be a boss cause of the dealers in my area. I wanna try the vee with wings against the wideout.

13. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

We run blizzard 810's on our cab overs and they are awesome. I think the blizzards are a little heavier than the wide outs. No matter what the plow you will mess up wings if you hit some thing to hard. But I was looking at a wide out for my 06 2500HD.

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

this will be the 3rd season on our wideout, and it has been problem free. I have been running the wing edges from jerre since new, and I "might" get through this season on them. They are expensive, but there isnt anything else on the market (that I know of) that is even comparable. I know of 1 particular incedent I had with a curb last year, that I think would have tweaked my passenger wing if it wasnt for the edges from jerre.

15. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Are they metal edges? I looked at jerre's web site. They look good but I didn't notice if they were metal or not.

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

urethane w/ a steel imbed....I'm sure you also noticed they have a peice that wraps around the end of the wing to act as a curb guard.

17. ARG Inc.

ARG Inc. Junior Member

We also bought a WideOut last year and I have to agree with everyone on here, it is definitely the best plow I've used. The build quality is very good and productivity level has been increased. We can plow accounts faster and move on to the next one. Good Luck...

18. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

How much ballast do you guys run with in your trucks with the wideout??

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

In my 3500 dump, a minimum of 1000lb.....usually more though. When I have about 2000lbs stuffed all the way back in the dump bed, it seems to be the optimum weight for the truck when plowing.

I would imagine in a pickup, 1000lb would work well.

20. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

I am getting a wideout on my 2010 sierra 2500 ext cab. Do you guys think i need timbrens??