1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wide-Out??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Acutabovesiny, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Acutabovesiny

Acutabovesiny Member

Added a truck this season, a Ford F550 4x4. We use all Western plows and spreaders. Up until today we planned on putting a 9' straight blade on it until we saw the Wide-Out demo. What do you guys think of it?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I am picking mine up this weekend.

4. Acutabovesiny

Acutabovesiny Member

I picked mine up today and it is fantastic. I cant wait to use it.

5. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

Personally I don't like to buy anything brand new, I would wait a year until they have worked the bugs out. If you want the expandable plow, no reason not to go with the tried and tested Blizzard 810. JMO

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I have one and love it. Can't wait to play with it.

7. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

8. no3putts

no3putts Junior Member
    from buffalo

Had the opportunity to plow with my new wideout last week in buffalo ny. I exchanged it for a 9 6 western v plow with wings after attempting to plow a sloppy 2-3 inch snow. Wings on wideout collapsed under load both windrowing and backdragging. We do all commercial lots and it just didn't seem like it could handle the load. It's probably a nice plow for light to medium duty. Good luck to all of you that have one.

9. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

what snow??? buffalo has only gotten a dusting doubt you broke a blade on that

10. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I don't think the wings were designed to be out when backdragging...even the blizzard is not great at that.

11. no3putts

no3putts Junior Member
    from buffalo

Didn't break blade. Wing moved to scoop position when backdragging and moved back to straight position when windrowing. Western dealer (Casullo's in Tonawanda) acknowledged that there may be a problem with wings. We had 2.5 water laden inches in the Cheektowaga Lancaster area. Check the Buffalo News Weather Page. If you do heavy duty commercial plowing, this may not be the right plow for you.

12. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah the wings out are not ment to be used for back dragging for sure. You'll breaks the springs that rertract the wings when tripped. About the windrowing issue.... Thats a problem for sure. I really think there built very weak compared to there older brother 810 or the 8611.

To answer your question I would of gone with the 8611 for your set up. That trucks a beast and you can push a crap load of snow with it. Good luck with your :dizzy: wide out. What kind of name is that anyway?? joking Just my opion don't anyone throw a tisy. :waving: