1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wide-Out vs. Western Prodigy

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Flyboy77, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

So if the Prodigy can be manually pinned into full straight blade (for back-dragging), wouldn't this be better than the extra: expense, weight, and mechanical/hydro of the Wide-Out? Any thoughts or comparison experiences to share?

From Western: "For back-dragging, wings can quickly and easily be mechanically pinned into a 9’ 8” straight-blade configuration. - See more at: http://www.westernplows.com/wp/showroom/prodigy#specifications"

Random state price quote found online from 2013 for comparison:
    Western Wide-Out (8-10ft straight): $5,409 (recent List:$7943)
    Western Prodigy 8.6 (9'8" pinned): $5,034

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Depends on how lazy you are

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the wideout if your looking

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Who would want to get out of the truck to pin the wings back

5. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

I'd spend the $400 to stay toasty in the truck. So you would get out to pin in every time you backdrag, then get out to put it back into auto mode. WhIle crawling around in snow and slush, freezinf your finger tips from touching frozen wet steel. Plus you would have to angle it each way to pin both sides I think, so that's two trips to the truck each time to pin and Unpin

Sometimes spending a few dollars up front is worth it in the long run, Something about working smarter not harder......

6. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

I see on the specs that the Prodigy is 880lbs and the Wide-Out is 940lbs without mounts. It seems like there would have been more weight difference with the extra rams and slides than 80 pounds.
    According to quick match, a 2010 2500HD Chev/GMC crew cab or extended cab w/diesel can't handle either one. But an extended cab gasser long bed is approved for either. I thought the weight would weigh more on the decision.
    I guess people would rather not waste the time to pin OR get out in the cold.

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

For $375, there's no way I'd even consider this choice.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If there's only a $400 difference between the two plows then that's a no-brainer. Go with a Wideout and don't think twice about it.

10. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

the other question you have is How often do you have to back drag.

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

After running a Wide-out for a few seasons I would feel crippled if I had to step down to the Prodigy. Having had the control at my fingertip it would really suck to have to get out and pin something. Another issue is the fact that the Wide-out retracts to 8 ft and the Prodigy is always full width. I found my Wide-out great for busy parking lots, you can backdrag individual stalls and expand the blade to fit. The Prodigy is too wide and inflexible. I think the Prodigy might be great to give to an inexperienced operator to plow a huge open parking lot with no vehicles or curbs, other than that the Wide-out is the way to go.

12. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Well put Mishnik.I will admit I totally forgot that the wide out went down to 8ft.Expecially after a good friend of mine owned several.but now has a 9.5 mvp3 with wing