1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Wide-Out or Boss V?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProGradeSnw&Ice, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ProGradeSnw&Ice

ProGradeSnw&Ice Junior Member

I have recently purchased another truck and need to decide what to put on it. My other truck has a Boss V and I love it, but almost went with Wide-Out when I purchased that one too. What sold me on the V was that it was a Boss. (Nothing against Western, just have always been a Boss fan) If Boss made a "Wide-Out competitor" I would be running that. However, they obviously don't due to patents and other legal reasons (says the Customer Service rep. I spoke with)

Keeping the Boss would:

• Maintain a matching fleet
    • Make all my equipment inter-changeable
    • I am spending $$ on something that I already know works and that I like

• Something new
    • Increase productivity?
    • Looks pretty sweet

Any thoughts/suggestions?

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

It really depends on what you are using it for. The wide-out will push more snow than the v plow hands down and back drags pretty well. The western also has the ability to have a hinged back drag put on it. In my experience v plows do not back drag well at all, they just seem to pack the snow. The v plow is obviously nice for busting drifts or for plowing long drives or roads. What is the price difference? Can the truck handle it the wide-out is pretty heavy? Where are the dealers?
  3. ProGradeSnw&Ice

Thanks for the quick feedback. Both of My trucks are GMC 2500HD's:

2005 & 2006
    Timbrens front & back
    Upgraded fan clutches
    265/75/16 AT tires

The '05 has 8'2" Steel V and has no problem with it, especially since installing the Timbrens. Had originally planned on a Boss straight blade for the new one and focussing on residential with that truck since it also has a shorter wheelbase. However, work outlook has changed and is leaning toward mostly commercial. I have the Smart-Lock cylinders on my current truck which helps but doesnt scrape the best when backdragging on concrete. Considering backdragging edge later but not the biggest priority right now.

So to answer your questions better, truck can handle either plow and work will comprise mostly of parking lots and some long drives/roads.

Leaning toward another Boss and maybe adding wings until they produce a Wide-Out (If at all)
  4. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I would stick with Boss, but I've never ran a Western Wide Out. I'm big on uniformity within my fleet. This way I dont have to carry and stock parts for six different plows. I'm sure on a wide open lot the wide out will move more snow. Enough more to make it worth the hassle of two different plow brands? That's up to you.
  5. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I had someone who knew something (not gonna get specific lol) tell me I could stick with boss when I inquired about wanting an expandable but would like to stay with boss. That was before the release of the DXT though, he was under the impression something else was being released. Food for thought although I'm sure boss wouldn't release anythig until its been tested and proven many times over.
  6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

The uniform fleet guys are missing out. Your fleet will be enhanced adding a wide out. It's a great plow.

We're big Boss fans too.

You don't want them all the same.
  7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Depends on the type of lots you have. Tight lots, long distances to locate snow, scoop mode in a expandable will outperform a V hands down.
    Large lots, wide open, well an expandable still outperforms a V (unless you put wings on the V.) I don't know anyone who has went to an expandable (western or blizzard) and regretted it. There are those who say they've cheapened them up and if you're the guy smacking curbs at 25mph with a wing, then you probably think they're cheap. My opinion, go wideout and compare it to your Boss V. You'll probably end up replacing the Boss eventually.
  8. ProGradeSnw&Ice

This was when I began emailing with The Boss Customer Service Dept(post DXT unvailing) and expressed how disappointed I, and others were. I also got on them about the timing of the unvail, end of season?

After also bringing up my frustration that there has not been a V-box spreader, I got them to spill the beans that the development of one is underway, but again will not be announced until the end of the season like the DXT to allow for testing. (Why not wait until late spring/early summer when some are planning ahead for their fleet upgrades/additions? Rather than end of winter when people are trying to figure out how to finance their spring break, etc after a shi**y winter :realmad: )
  9. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I have a western MVP and like it, Im not even going to delve into the trip blade vs. trip edge but I owned a trip blade V...and now I don't. Actually I do its for sale. Anyhow I tried out a Wideout last winter and thats what were buying mostly for now on. You have to try it yourself to see it.
  10. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

anyone try the snowdoggs expandable wing plow?
  11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well My 9.6 MVP plus back drags very well but I run 5/8x8 cutting edge

To the OP I would keep brand you have I have Western and 1 boss Vplow and after owning a western Vplow I'll never buy a boss Vplow again
  12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I had a Wideout and I switched to a 9'6" MVP and I don't regret the decision one bit. When you add a set of wings to the MVP you can move WAY more snow than a Wideout. I don't care what Western's little online calulator says, I have real world experience with both and the 9'6" is the way to go.

(I've also owned Boss V plows and even though they are constructed really well the lack of a trip edge makes them a second tier option.)

13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I own an 810 and a 9'2 VXT. Both are nice. I think the 810 moves more snow, especially around corners. But I like the Boss more and future plows will be Boss.
  14. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

Yes, a friend of mine has it on a F350 dully. I've run with it a few times. It's a great plow and I would recommend the SnowDogg over the Western anyday.
  15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

"For me" PP (power plows) are the better choice.

SnowDogg makes a good plow...but their PP is a cheap knock-off of the Fisher/Western/Blizzard PP's. I have a very good friend with one(SnowDogg PP), and neither he nor I are very impressed with it. With that said, I also have a sub with a SnowDogg HD 9ft straight blade....we have been very happy with it.

I like uniformity, but I would recommend getting a PP to compliment your V.
  16. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

I have 5 wideouts and 1 9'6" MVP with wings. We like the v just for our own country driveways but other than that, we would have all wideouts. The versatility of the wideout is unmatched. Yes the v we have can carry more snow with the wings on but it doesn't windrow as well. Being able to scoop the trailing edge of the wideout while extending the other side to wide pass really saves time. There is a school we do that took a little over an hour with the MVP on a 2 inch snow and with the wideout, the driver gets it done in 45 min. Before wideouts we had all blizzards. I am a fan of having a uniform fleet but in your situation I would get the wideout. You will wonder why you didn't get one sooner. For our situation and our properties it is the best option hands down.
  17. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

you cant go wrong with either. but i have a 9'6 v and a wide out and the wide out moves more snow and it great when turning like others have said.
  18. ProGradeSnw&Ice

I have never owned, but have used a couple older Western straight blades(early 2000's era) and they seem nice and never have any problems other than the flag/markers on the ends needing replaced. How is the construction/integrity of current Westerns? They've just never appeared as strong to me as Boss.

I sarcastically applauded Boss on the DXT seveal months ago. Why in the h**l did it take them so long to build a trip edge V? thanks to them not having one, I bent the A-frame on mine last year going less than 10mph!

Also, do any manufacturers have something along the lines of a "multi-position" wing? As in one that could be manually switched from one position to another like the positions a Wideout has.
  19. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I love the Boss V... Next plow will be a wideout, nice to have different equipment for different situations.
    Snow Dogg makes a wideout as well... a lot cheaper, i hear good things about the snow doggs
  20. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I am actually going to be replacing one of my older Boss' this season and I have it down to a Boss V vxt or the Snowdogg Expandable....guess i got some thinking to do