1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western wide out or blizzard wide out?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mr.Freezzz, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

Just wondering if the new blizzards are still heavy and is western still a better buy for the buck? I want the hyd wings on this one.
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If there is a Fisher dealer near you you would be better off with a Fisher XLS IMO. But if there isn't I would go with the Western Wide Out.
  3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Which dealer will provide better service?
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

X2.....What dealer is near you that is gonna give you the service that you need....
  5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I would love to have a blizzard because its a foot wider than the western, but no dealer support for the blizzard in my area
  6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

The Fisher is the same damn thing, except it has a trip edge instead of full trip, which I think is worse off for a expandable wing plow, because the extensions do not have trip edge themselves.
  7. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

They are all owned by the same company, I would think where you find one you could find the other. Although I know Western went the way of GM and decided to shut down a bunch of smaller dealers and just concentrate on the larger ones to market their product. They are going public you know...
  8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

You're talking about a lopro, which is a sweet unit, but I think he's referring to an 810 size. I wouldn't buy the new blizzard design, and the XLS seems to be holding up a lot better than the Western twins (see the various threads about the bottom angle bending). If I was going to buy a new one today, I'd go with the fisher, and immediately upgrade the wing edges to the polar edges from Jerre's. But I still prefer the pre-redesign blizzard plows. wesport
  9. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I run the blizzard 810 and lp8611. I like them both. In 5 years I have only had to change one cylinder on the 810. The 8611 is 2 years old and have had no trouble at all with it.
    I was looking at the new snow dogs the other day. The also have an 8'6" with hydraulic wings that expand it to a 10'6". Nice looking plow but the cylinders seem a little smaller as does the frame. Everybody is making the expandable wing plows these days. They do scrape so much better than my boss v, but they don't stack nearly as high. Good luck with whatever you choosepayup
  10. Matson Snow

Do you own an XLS......Opinions are like A@#HOLES...Everyone has one....Untill you own a piece of equipment and have used said equipment...I just dont see how you can judge that piece of equipment....:dizzy:....
  11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I see you have one, but I'd personally agree with him. The wings have no protection. So if you have an a**hole running the blade they could take a wing off.

For my opinion. The Blizzard is still the same moldboard as before the design. It certainly is designed to be a bit more stout then the others (slide boxes are bigger).

All three are made by the same company. Dealer support should be a big decision. Our big local dealer services all three. The Blizzard frame is very similar to the Western, but with the power hitch.

I have not heard any complaints yet about the new Blizzard from people who have purchased them. Time will tell.
  12. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Not sure why I am commenting on this, as I don't have a blizzard plow, or any xls or wideout. we Run Extreme Vs.

But I see the point about trip edge vs full board. I'd rather go trip edge in a 8-10 be it fisher or western. When those wings are in scoop, and a full mold board trip trips, I would think it's pushing the wings downward with it, and the edges into the ground. I know from watching a trip edge there is more of a hop in the action, lifting the blade a little. With that hop the actual wings wouldn't be on the ground and protected.

I may be way wrong.. Just the impression I get from videos and such.

But like everyone else has said, dealer is important.
  13. Matson Snow

That Truck pictured plowed at an Auto assembly plant last year...It was some of the roughest, toughest plowing you could do...Plow came through it just fine....I agree with if you have an a-hole running the plow they could screw it up....But if you have an a-hole running an Extreme V lets say..He could screw that up too....In my opinion and that opinion comes from running a power plow...You could Not go wrong with any of the 3 Brands.....
  14. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

i own 4 blizzard 8-10's and some of my drivers have been know to be a-holes from time to time but we have yet to rip a wing off. Ordered one of the new ones (8100) its getting installed nxt month. am looking forward to seeing if its any faster than my old ones. for what its worth we have had good luck with bizzards. good luck
  15. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Hands down the Blizzard.

Direct Lift is SO much better.
  16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The wings trip back automatically, they don't stay scooped when it trips.
  17. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

What do you have to prove here? This is a internet forum, all you'll find are opinions genius. Why is it whenever I talk to Fisher guys, they always have a hard on about Fisher plows being the greatest effin' thing since sliced bread, even though they are the same damned thing as Westerns, except with trip edges.

From what I saw with the movies on the website, the hydraulic wing extensions do not have a trip edge. That means, no safety feature for the wings, whereas the Western and the Blizzards allow the entire plow to trip regardless of what wing is where. Just calling it like I see it, I'm not on any particular brand's nuts.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  18. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Except they're not the same. Both plows have designs that are quite different, the trip edge is only the start. The wing edges are rubber/urethane and as I recall are designed with a "joint" of sort molded in to have some give if an obstacle is encountered. Works the same way my Western ProPlus with the wings added on did. When hitting something, the wing edge flexed and the blade tripped. After a couple years of flexing though, I did have to replace a urethane edge... Big deal...

If I were to buy a new power plow, I'd be seriously torn between the blizzard and the fisher, but I wouldn't consider the western for a second.
  19. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

That part I know, but I am talking about the hydraulic wings that slide out themselves, not the tips at each end.
  20. Matson Snow

Wow...I dont have a hard-on for Fisher...If you read..You willl see i said any of the three would do just fine...Since i have run all 3...Unlike yourself thats throwing out opinions on equipment YOU have NEVER run...Also, you are showing your ignorance about the wings as wizard already stated they have releaf valves that let the wings kick back when something is hit....So, keep watching those videos and websites and being the Expert that you are....Case in point...I dont't own a Boss plow..I have Never used a Boss Plow...But, If i watch a couple of Videos that means i can make all sorts of comments about the plow and the operation of that plow.....
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010