1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western wheel blade

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Bobby Blaze, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Bobby Blaze

Bobby Blaze Member

anybody still have one of those wheel blades from back in 96 ?

2. fishcapn

fishcapn Junior Member

i just bought a used western wheel balde system last weekend. and i am planning on putting it on my 2000 dodge dakota

3. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

i dont think ive ever seen one before got any pics

4. fishcapn

fishcapn Junior Member

Western Wheel Blade plow

here is a picture of the one a bought.

plow.jpg

5. bossman34

bossman34 Member

Good luck with that, they pulled those off the market along time ago because they are not safe. I heard lots of horror stories from people almost killing themselves and loosing control with those plows attached. I helped my then boss straighten his wheel pivot pin several times-everytime he hit a pot hole or a drive to fast it would bend it, after it is bent they would hang up and steer the truck since the weight of the plow is on that little wheel it had alot of control over the truck. It was just a bad idea all around- I would modify it and remove the wheel altogether.

6. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

I have never seen that before....

7. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I remember seeing them at the dealer, never saw one in action though.
    Horrible idea from the beginning IMO.

8. fishcapn

fishcapn Junior Member

only planning on doing my driveway and maybe my neigbors so not going to be going a hundred miles an hour through a parking lot trying to do more than i need to

9. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

What is a wheel blade? ive never heard of it.

10. bossman34

bossman34 Member

There is a wheel in the middle of The A frame that carries the weight of the plow when the plow is raised. It is strange to watch because instead of the truck dropping when you pick up the plow the truck actually raises up as the wheel takes the weight. And ya it would be ok to do a couple little jobs close just make sure the wheel pivot is not bent, its on an offset like a caster on a small shop cart.

11. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

So whats the point of it? why did western bother making it?

12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I believe they made them for the '97 F150 that was too light duty to carry the weight of a plow. No surprise they didn't last... :dizzy:

13. bossman34

bossman34 Member

Yup that was the idea, albeit a bad one