1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western VS Sno-way

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lynden-Jeff, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Hey,

Well ive hit a real dilemma. I am starting to plow this year, and I have planned all along to go with the snoway. Since I am now financing the plow I have the option to go with a western WIDEOUT. Im looking for input from people who own these plows. Here are the pros and cons I find:

8 FT Snoway

Pros: Light weight (600 lbs approx), Stainless steel, downpressure, easy to get parts, good price ($5500 CDN)
    Cons: No wings, underdog company compared to western

Western wide out

Pros: versatile, 8 or 10 ft. Proven reliability, wings on the fly
    Con: Heavy (955 lbs), expensive ($8500 CDN), not as easy to get parts for.

My dealer is suggesting the snow way more so since im not doing any major lots, just small commercial and residential but I will expand in the future. I need to watch the weight as its going on an 04 6L diesel, Id almost definitely need an extra leaf for the western.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I hardly even see SW around here and your truck will be fine with the Western but the 3k is a dowside. I wouldn't think Western parts would be hard to get. Do you know anybody personally that has a Snoway and do they come in 9 ft's.

3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I would not worry about the weight on that ruck. I have an 03 7.3 with a boss V which is also very heavy. Id go with western personally. My Dad has always used them and loved them.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Buy it is the States. These prices are nuts up here. I am trying to find a Western dealer close to the Border.

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I personally would go with the wide out. I got mine finally and its freaking heavy duty. Just got to find some time to put it togather.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway makes a great plow, durable and effective.
    Do a search on the site about the wide-out. If you're going Western avoid the wide out for a couple years until they get the bugs worked out.

Listen to your dealer he's is the one supporting you, and going to have to stand behind the product.
    JMO

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Hey,

This is what I was thinking after I searched the wideout. If I went with western it would only be because of the wideout, otherwise the snoway is a great price and IMO very good quality. I think ill stick with my snoway for now.

Cheers
    Jeff

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Snow way is probably alright, they are made a half hour from my house, and so is Western. Off topick, but it's kinda cool.

9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I ran a sno-way for 10 years on mixed commercial accounts. zero problem. I decided to upgrade to a v-plow for the scoop. This will be my first year with it. I know the western does not have down pressure which is awsome. The frame was rusty when it came brand new and the height lift is only about 15". Right now I'm not real impressed but, sno-way's v-plow is lame until the new design next year.