1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western VS. Fisher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EPP200, Oct 9, 2000.

1. EPP200

EPP200 Junior Member

This week I will be buying my 1st plow. I have decided on either Western (which everyone around here seems to have) or Fisher (don't see many around here). I have read the numerous posts about the various brands and was originally leaning towards Fisher but most of the posts sound like the Fisher is really hard on the truck. Soooo, now I'm thinking Western but not to fond of the mounting system (as compared to Fisher) and am now leaning towards the Western. Any suggestions?? I have a 2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty. Thanks for the help ........ ED

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

If you go with a v-plow it's almost the same plow painted two different colors.

Geoff

3. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

My vote goes to Fisher.

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I'll put in a vote for Fisher, although I've never used a Western. Consider the service you will get. If there aren't many Fishers around your area, there may not be many Fisher Dealers close. I bought one of my trucks with a Fisher & then found out that none of the local dealers worked on them really, so I'm on my own for repairs, or have to travel. It doesn't break so that hasn't been a problem (knock on wood). Since I already had Meyers plows, I'm now well versed in the general repair of plows & confident I'll be able to handle any problems that come up with the Fisher. Its a hassle getting parts though, so keep that in mind when choosing.

5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I say get a Fisher.
    Western plows have a knack of being very sensitive when it comes to controls. It the controls get knocked out of whack, you will be pulling your hair out trying to re-adjust them.

JC

6. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

What is it with you guys and Westerns/Fishers? Or should I say what is it with us and Boss Plows? Here's a question for the Western crowd; have they improved their newer plows, because the old ones that I've used in the past were complete junk? (chains, electrical connections, motor, etc.)

7. BRL

I've seen Boss plows in ads in the trade mags & I've heard you guys talking them up. Problem is nobody around here sells them. So we're stuck with Meyer, Western, Fisher or Hiniker in my area. I saw a Boss at the BBQ & it looked great. I can't wait until someone sells it around here so I can get one. BTW I saw a fellow contractor's Hiniker plow yesterday & what John Parker said is true. The guy showed me how his A frame is damaged & from reading about John's experiences, I showed the guy how his plow is also twisted.

8. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

BRL; we like Boss, but they're not flawless. One thing is that they don't mount in 35 seconds (or come off) as advertised. In fact, it's always taken 2 of us to connect/disconnect the units. Anyway, check out the Boss website for dealers and if you don't have one, maybe you can purchase directly from the factory.

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Only problem with Boss V's, is they DONT trip. I hit a manhole cover at 15mph a few years ago, and bent that plow up so bad that it tewaked my hood and fenders. So, dont plow streets that have hidden obstructions. Now the Fisher V's have their cutting edge trip which would have saved me $2000.00. Either way a V is the way to go. Yes 2 men 3-4 min to line up mounts on my Boss.

Boss makes a really nice and beefy straight blade.

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would go with a diamond plow.
    1. They have a better curve to throw the snow
    2. There cutting edge is center punched for more use of the blade and more strength.
    3.I think they even cost less than a fisher they are going on the name to get more $$ out of every one.
    I love mine and would defently get another one.

11. BRL

Iowa & Dixie,
    Now I understand something I watched at the little BBQ we had over here. The folks from the Boss dealer were timing one of the girls as she raced to line up & hook up the plow. She beat the advertised time a couple of times so you'd better get a new coach & get back to the training ;) My Fisher "Minute Mount" has never taken less than 3 or 4 minutes, & I always try to have someone else around to help.

Happy Halloween!

[Edited by BRL on 10-10-2000 at 07:54 PM]

12. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

I want my money back (and the factory plant; aka 'the girl' that mounted that thing in less than 35 seconds!)

13. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

My vote is for Diamond streight blades all the way. Except for 10' then you have to buy fisher because diamond deosn't make them.

For v-plows fisher is the way to go.

Geoff

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Some things to remember, western and fisher both use the same hydro and electrical connectors, except for the isolation box for fisher.
    The western has positive return stops for the moldboard and a nice shoch absorber to dampen rebound. They throw snow great, and scrape very good as well. Something a fisher, and dare I say a diamond doest do very well due to the angle of attack.
    The mounting system on the western is bad, but the they have a new one available for winter 2001.
    If there is a curtis dealer near you, check that plow out, it attaches as fast or faster than a boss, and it has a few neat features.
    For what it is worth, I have the same basic complaint about boss v plows. The factory head of engineering that I talked to, basically said Yeah they dont trip in the scoop, but there is nothing we can do about it.That is why I bought a western v plow. But any v plow is better than a straight.
    the most important item to consider is the service you will recieve. That is more critical when a part breaks, then what color it is.
    Dino

[Edited by plowking35 on 10-11-2000 at 12:07 AM]

15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The only time a Boss V-plow will trip is in the straight or bucking position. Period. If you can live with that, then they are great plows. Just dont bend them up. It gets very expensive! Once you tweak that center section, the cutting edges will wear unevenly.

16. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We don't have any problems with our Boss plows and how long it takes to put them on or take them off.....

We put 'em on at the first storm of the season, and take 'em off April 1st. No problems with minute mount, quick tach, back tach, up tach, no tach. We just leave 'em on all season.....

Of course, we plow (sometimes) 60 times in a season, so.....

17. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

We have both Fisher and Western, both are equally impressive. Fisher has some more weight. Electric pumps are the same. Fisher is a little easier to put on. I guess thats why the call it a Minute Mount.

18. EPP200

EPP200 Junior Member

THANK YOU for everyone's input. I'm going to check the WWW now for BOSS and CURTIS plows as suggested and if there is a dealer or two in my area I'll visit them in the morning. If not it looks like I'm going to go with the Fisher. I like the way the Western rebounds, however, I like the mounting system and trip edge on the Fisher (and from everyone's input sounds like the Fisher can take more of a "pounding" than the Western. ....... ED

19. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

Everyone here uses either Western or Meyers. Western is the preferred way to go. Whatever you do, don't buy anything that you can't buy parts for locally. If you have an emergency, you need it fixed right away. Every minute costs you!