1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western vs. Brand X

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DRIFTER92, Oct 7, 2009.

1. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

I have been doing research for a couple weeks now and have talked to dealers of both plow types I'm interested in purchasing. This is my first plow purchase. The truck I'm using is not ideal but its all i have to work with right now. Looking to work on commercial lots since the truck isn't suited well for residential zones, the turning radius is horrible.

2006 Chevy 3500 Diesel Crew/Duals/Long Bed. The options I'm wanting to talk about are:

1) In the V Position in a Western 8'6" wide enough to cover dual rear wheel tracks?

-Western Says 8'6" is enough...
    -BOSS Dealer recommended a 9'2"...
    The only holdback i have with the width is wear and tear on the truck. I'm asking people of experience is this really an issue if you're smart with your equipment?

2) Is weight of the western vs. lighter BOSS plow really an issue? The diesel is already got the front axle loaded down (4800 GVWR)

3) Does the Dual trip option from western still let the plow itself trip on larger obsticles, ie. parking curb?

4) Are the chains really a hastle? (says BOSS) I see a benefit to having them personally but then again i have no experience in the field...

Please tell me any issues you've had with western MVP Plus plows, and are you completely happy with your purchase? I need all the info i can get. Thanks for your time, this site is great.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I should put this link in my sig line LOL.

If you get the 8.2/8.6, you will really want/need wings. Truthfully a 9.2/9.6 with wings would be nice on that truck.

Beat you to it again Mark:D
  3. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

Thanks that was very helpful, next time i will try to search the forums :drinkup:
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Glad you found it helpful. Something I forgot to mention in that post - the chain lift crowd will try to sell you on the ability to "short chain" in case of a hydraulic failure. They Boss blade can be held up in a very similar manner, you just need a ratchet strap to wrap around the light tower.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

and boss has all these extras i bought a new western pro and its the best
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So the Boss extras don't make it better than a Western?
  7. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I have both a western mvp and a boss.

The mvp is on a old chevy dually but in V or scoop, it is not wide enough for the rear tires to come through. Its an 8'6" plow. I like the trip edge but I havent actuall plowed with the truck since i bought it. its a backup. The plow itself seems really well built and heavy duty.

My boss is an 8'2" V that I use on my SRW ford crew shortbed. The plow is not even wide enough for that so id say get the 9'2". I personally like the boss better. I like the direct lift and reliability I get from the boss. The only "extra" you need is the smartlock cylinders which is an extra $300, not a big deal.

The western is a heavy beast though, it drops the chevy about 3-4" with the blade lifted so make sure you get a set of timbrens or sumos for the front end.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Dangit :mad: ;)
  9. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

Did you consider Poly? I got my 8.6' MVP last year so only have one season on it so far but works great. I went with the poly due to weight of the CTD on the front end, just another option. I also looked at the Boss and like the western for the tip edge.
    I have not hit anything higher than the trip edge (YET) so could not answer your question truthfully about hitting a parking curb.. I would guess it would still jump the plow tripping the edge hopefully not breaking anything.

Good luck.
  10. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I believe the polys are heavier than the steel blades. At least that was the case with the ones I had.
  11. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

9'6"- MVP = 1,006#
    Poly = 964#

9'2" - VXT = 842#
    Poly = 852#

Western wings dont look to be as wide.
    The Boss wings bring the plow to 11' wide. And i don't think they will add 112# to equal the 9'6" Western Poly.

I'm pretty sure what my decision will be after reading all this info and doing some more searching. Thanks for all the info.