1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western vs Boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kemmer, Sep 22, 2005.

1. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

Im looking for a plow

Western 8.5 Pro Ultra- $3875 w/o install

Boss 8.5 Straight blade-$3875 w/o install (supposedly)

There both the same price, whats to better choice?

01 silverado 2500HD

2. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

that like saying witch is better ford or chevy, i could have bought anything i wanted i picked western vee blades ,go with the vee, spend the extra money, ok I'm off my soap box, the western tripps better when you hit stuff and you will ,in my area we get better dealer support with western.both good plows buy who ever is going to give you better dealer support.

3. ADLAWNCUTTERS

oh i forgot you will get better ground clearance from the western. that is real important because you are putting on a gm truck.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ive always used westerns, there great plows very easy to work on.Ive never had a boss but I hear good things about them, so I guess which ever one you feel more comfortable with.

5. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

they both are from the same dealer, so dealer support isnt really an issue. The Boss system is more electrical, it seems like more things to fail, ive heard that if ice forms on the hook up, its hard to get it on. But the western is more mechanical, just driving into the plow and latching it on...

and yes ground clearence is an issue too, the wester u can take off part of the hitch, so it looks like u dont have a plow at all. Boss stays on all the time

Still need help with the decision...

Thanks

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Well.. I have a western and love the ultra mount system as you can remove most of the truck site receiver. I have had 0 problems with it, and most people will say the westerns are rock solid. Boss are also good plows. Most people will comment on how fast your hydraulics are. I have never used one though so I cannot comment on how good/bad they are (only used Western and Fishers). Like you I was concerned about the electric mounting on the boss. seems like another potential failure point, but I have heard very few people actually have problems with them.

Flykelley bought a 8'6" boss recently maybe he has some input on the boss...

7. snoking

snoking Senior Member

I have both plows also. The Boss hands down is easier to put on and take off truck. Pins stay on plow so you dont lose them...they are even spring loaded so you dont have to get under the bumper to hook it up. My electrical has never failed onthe bosses, and the are faster, way faster than the western. Boss uses Barnes pumps very reliable.
    havent replaced mine in over 6 years. Everything is in one plug at the front of the truck..lights and everything. Since you are getting them from the same dealer put them side by side and compare you will see that the boss construction is way better than the western. I also have two bosses on chevys and I dont have a clearence problem...

My 2 cents

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Hate to tell you this but do a search on this, it is discussed every year on this site, you get more info by searching.

It keeps everyone from spending time typing again what they typed last year when someone else asked the same question.

Good Luck with your decision.

9. Swinn

Swinn Member

I just bought a western pro plow. I had narrowed my choices down to boss or western. They looked very similar in setup. I took the western because you can find parts like solenoids and hoses at parts stores like advanced auto. Also northern tool has limited parts available for newer plows. As for the boss being faster I can't imagine how much faster it could be. The western hits the stops really quick and when it does it shakes the truck. (Little truck. :( ) Just so you know this is my first plow and I am not a commercial plower even though this is the commercial section but thought I could help out.

10. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

WESTERN...nuff' said! :drinkup:

11. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

snoking, when you were talking about mounting, were you comparing the BOSS to the unimount or the ultramount???

I'm considering a Boss for my next truck but I have to admit I love the ultramount cause of the ease of mounting/dismounting...

Thanks!

12. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Frozen
    You are correct I just had a Boss 8'6'' installed on my 2005 Chevy. It is way faster than any plow I have used. In my course of life I have owned a Western, A Curtis and now my new Boss. The Boss hook's up as fast as the Curtis which is very quick.
    Now the Western I had was a older one so I can't compare apples to apples as far as hooking them up. I loved the foot jack on the Curtis, you would always have the plow at the right height. The Boss jack is like a Western's I will have to see how much I like it. My new Boss has two plugs and two pin's that are spring loaded, no getting on the ground to hook up pins. So far I like the Boss but will not really know till I get to push some snow. I do have to get use to how fast the Boss is, man it is quick. My main thing is dealer and Tech support from the manufacturer.

Good Luck Mike

13. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

western thats all i have to say. :waving:

14. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Snowy.....VanDines in Hackensack has the same Western pro
    plow $3950 INSTALLED.......

WHERE ARE YOU AT/LOOKING ?

15. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

Thats where i went, what size did u get, i need a 8.5 Pro

16. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I would look long and hard at the Pro Plus. Western has done there homework on this plow. the factory wing option alone would sell me. If I was purchasing another straight blade I would buy the 8'6" Pro plus with the wings hands down. As far as speed of hydraulics I really dont think Boss's speed will really save you that much time in a parking lot. Most blade movement is calculated (done while moving) so 2 seconds adds up to maybe a couple minutes, so that alone would not sway me.

SnoKing must be comparing the newer Boss RT3 mount to the older Uni Mount.
    The Ultra mount is way too sweet and I know I will miss this feature from my old Western. No pins or crawling under the truck. My buddy has the Boss RT3 and he has had a few issues. Last 2 years with the Ultra never had one "UNIMOUNT" experience lol. Allways slid right in place flip the latchs hookup the plugs and go.
    Todd

17. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Snowy....that price was for a 8 ft pro plus .............
    8.5 would be a bit more.......

Check your e-mail here for details

18. ADLAWNCUTTERS

i also like the fact that western plow still use a chain set up it is more forgiving on the truck when you hit stuff.if you blow a hose you can run the plow in a snow pile and short chain it till you get home.i would guess that when you are driving with the boss and hit a dip in the road the whole front end is too tight and you will feel it. maybe some of the boss guys could enlighten us. i have to admit the western pain jobs suck after a couple of years.the boss is faster but who cares you still have to wait for the tranny to click in. GO WITH THE WESTERN.

19. snoking

snoking Senior Member

Speed and power of your hydros is everything...or should be. All of my trucks except for 4 have central hydros, or honda boxes. I would never change back to electric. plows come up quick, back blades lift your truck off the ground and scrape awsome. The last two years we average 30 trucks a night running. Some have meyers, some western, run 4 boss vee's, snoway.Every truck has a back blade. the boss's are the only electric blades we run( plus when we do change them over to central, you use there valve block). I do not run blizzard yet because of their past problems....but next i will they seem to be better. I weed out all the problem childs as we go.
    Sorry for being wordy also

for example
    Id never by another meyer. Alot of you would disagree with me...and i have saiid it before...they could give me all new plow setups for every truck for free, and id rather go bankrupt putting boss's or the new snoway's on.

Westren true i havent had many problems....better built than meyer...but i dont like the pump setups and how slow than can be when you get a bigger plow on them...

Boss plows have never been broke down in winter. same pumps and everything and some are 5-6 years old

My guys average speed on a parking lot is 30+ mph....dont know if you other guys go that fast....and i know some dont approve....but we do. My guys turn trucks around at the end a run by putting the back blade down and do a donut..lol....they dont play...so the equipment we cant either...

I have meyer plows that break off trucks( yes i know because of speed...but still), All are bent on each side just from windrolling. Western mount broke 3 times in one night because it didnt lift fast enough and kept turfing itself....

yes i relize some thing might be petty, or preventable but its all about the bottom line. More pushes you get the more you get paid. Idont plow by the hour. I dont mean to get on people bad side or to insult if i do sorry.
    But im sure most people on here only run2-4 trucks a night. Answer this, If you had 3 trucks 9 ft blades and backblades, could you plow Lowes, Super Walmart, Sams Club, Target, circut City, Pets Mart, and the 15 small stores and returaunts around those building in one night?...We do and no loader untill we stack snow.

So yes if i had to choose my plow for that job, It would be a boss, or snoway. For now.

sorry but i just get frustrated with the petty arguments on here and i ussually am quite. If your in Michigan ever, stop by...ill show you all the toys...and then youll see where im coming from.....

Erik Green, Owner
    Greenscapes of West Michigan

20. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

YOU NEED TO BUY A BLIZZARD!!!

ITS THE GREATEST THING KNOWN TO MANKIND!!! It slices, it dices---look at that tomato!! It stops wars, natural disasters, and feeds the hungry!!

...seconded only by that Solotec plastic thingie!

Sorry. Every other post turns out something like this, so I thought I'd catch one that seemed to be slipping thru the cracks without mention of this wonderous cure-all..... :rolleyes:

:jester: