1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western vs boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by milkie62, Sep 26, 2004.

1. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I have a 1987 cable operated western pro that works just short of excellent.I was looking at the straight blade boss plows. How are they ? How do they compare to the western ? I guess I am partial to red plows.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have a Boss and I love it. I've never had any problems with it. Western makes a good plow also. My advice is no matter if you pick a western or a Boss, get rid of the cable system. They're old, outdated, and full of problems. My buddy spent all last winter fighting his and ended up selling the whole truck. :waving:

3. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I have never had any problems with my "old, outdated, and full of problems " cable operated Western pumps.
    Mark K

4. JTS Landscaping

JTS Landscaping Member

i have the new boss straight blade and i like it most every one i know has a boss they are a really good brand the westerns are good to i had a hard time trying to pick between the 2.

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I used a Boss 8ft Super duty straight plow from 1997 until last year. It was one tough plow. Only problem I had was I did break the welds on the A frame once.

6. Silverhowie

Silverhowie Junior Member

8' Western Pro Plus vs. Boss Poly V 8'-2"

Hi Plowsite, What a great resource this website is!! I'm shopping for a new plow now and have been back and forth so many times, I don't know which one I like better now. I was at one time totally sold on a Boss Poly V... until reading posts regarding the center shoe (does it leave a trail?). Also, knowing that I will have my fair share of driveways, I wonder how well the Boss V will back blade. On the positive side> I like fast moving hydraulics and plow lights of Boss. The wings you can buy for the Western Pro Plus with the optional back blade sound like a great deal too?? :rolleyes: Can anyone help?? (Both Boss & Western dealers are close by.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I much prefer the triping of the western/fisher V's over the boss.