1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western V plow????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by krazy, Nov 17, 2005.

1. krazy

krazy Junior Member
    from MN

New to the business and am looking to put a plow on a 1 ton ford p/u. I have had boss v's before and liked them. Just wondering if you western guys could tell me if the western is as good or a better v. Thank you

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

wester/fisher V's are a bit slower and thier controller isnt as easy to use as the boss's. I much prefer the tripping style though. Ran a 10' boss V and bought a 9.5' fisher and my dad bought a 9.5' western after owning the boss. JMO but a V plow should have a trip edge not be full trip

3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Western has Boss beat hands down when it comes to v plows. They might not be as fast but that doesn't matter when you nail a manhole cover in the scoop or v position. It can't trip so you end up buying a new wing. Also the ultramount system is the best. If you look at the construction of the western, its alot heavier......I still haven't figured out what the point of having two springs from the t frame to the wings is supposed to do. :confused:

4. I run a fisher ezv and love it, It's almost identical to the western, I think just different mounting system. My uncle has run western for 25 years and just switched over to a fisher ezv after running with me on my first 3 years and be kicking his ass on cleanup:drinkup:

5. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Junior Member

I have the Western 8' V on my 1 ton and its great. Im really happy with it, quality product !!

6. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

I do not know alot about the western plows, but I have never broke a wing on a boss plow, and I have had 4. The boss plows weak point is the tilt pin which can be beefed up if it does break.

7. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

So exactually what type of wings to do have on your MVP, I own two and have been looking for wings ??? Someone suggested Proplus wings, they cost $500.00 any other suggestions ??? Could you post a picture so I could see what you are talking about (two springs from the t frame):cool:

8. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I'm refering to the two wings that make up the snow plow moldboard. And I couldn't post a picture of what boss has cuz I don't/will never have a boss v plow. :waving:

9. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I understand your point, and just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it can't. I look at it this way, let's say your stacking snow in the scoop position and you nail a manhole cover, curb, something.......is the relief valve going to act fast enough to not let damage happen to the wing? How does this thing trip when its in the v position?

A trip edge is the only way to go in these situations, IMO.

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

In theory the relife should blow and the wing comes back and a boss blade will trip normally. Sometimes it dosnt and that really sucks. The boss blade is built pretty stout though. We have never bent a wing. We have broken numerous center hoofs off, bronek chunks off the cutting edge, and broken a few welds(How have you found to brace the tilt pin??? Busted that a few times) The 2 springs on the wings are how it retracts. Thats why the blade is so fast. You learn these things when you actualy have first hand experience from running a blade:rolleyes: For our type plowing the boss sucks. But we run higher speed wide open comercial for the most part. Othere guys run em with sucess. I prefer western/fisher for my application, guess I shoulda been more specific......:eek: