1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western V Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by belken, Oct 2, 2015.

1. belken

belken Junior Member

Plowing with Meyer straight blades for over 25 years. Looking at Western v-Plow, the MVP3.
    Anyone with pros or cons on this plow?
    I see it only has the edge of the plow trip. The whole blade doesn't trip.
    Isn't hard on the plow with only the bottom edge tripping? If you hit a pile sometimes you would need the whole plow to trip. Has anyone had any issues with this, or am I over thinking this.
    Thanks

2. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Why would you be "hitting" piles?

Trip edge plows aren't as violent as people assume they will be. With a full trip plow you have the entire plow snapping back.

Go watch thing video. Start it at 6:09

I wasn't carrying a lot of snow, but when the plow tripped I lost almost no snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4uGHKh2tGA

3. belken

belken Junior Member

"Hitting" piles, I meant that sometimes when stacking snow on a pile that's been there awhile, the plow would ride up on the pile and sometimes the whole blade would trip because of hitting a frozen spot in the pile.
    It was good that the whole blade gave, rather than not giving. That's all I was concerned about.
    I watched the video. I see what you mean about the bottom giving and not loosing much snow. Thanks

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

It really doesn't matter if you lose a lot of snow or just a little. If your blade/edge trips and leaves any snow, you're going to go back and clean it up. The Western V plows are tried and true. Can't go wrong with them. That being said, I have a trip edge, but would much rather have the dual trip function that Boss has on their new V plows, but I don't believe it was available when I bought my plow.

5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I had a full trip plow; hated it because it would constantly trip in heavy wet snow. Changed to an MVP; love it. I prefer it not to be tripping if I'm stacking.

6. prostk2

prostk2 Member

I had a Unimount 7"6" and switched to a 8'6" MVP. Great plow and scrapes very well with the trip edge. You can stack snow very easily since the plow won't trip forward and 1/2 of the snow falls over the top of the plow. It might be a little harder when you hit a large pavement crack but not horrible by any means. I will not buy another straight blade ever! Also when I was looking to purchase--the Boss plow was not able to move both wings with one controller button. IMO-- I figured this might be a pain in the neck after plowing for 12-18 hours.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  7. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

If you buy that plow you will refuse to touch another straight blade in your life.

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Meyer straight blades........for over 25 years.........

Dear God.

That is like saying "I have been taking cold showers for over 25 years. If I add hot water with it, will it burn my hair off? Will it feel better?"

Man, go buy the V plow. Do it tomorrow. Do it right now. Go.

9. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

X2. First blade was a Meyers straight, second was a western straight. I've been using western V's ever since.

10. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

Did the same as you. Started with Meyer blades. Bought an MVP+ last season. Night and day difference. Scrapes better, controls are way way better, trip edge is better, mounting/unmounting is way easier.......can't go wrong with it you'll love it.