1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western V Plow Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 36Tango, Feb 3, 2011.

1. 36Tango

36Tango Junior Member
    from BF Iowa

OK, I have tried to troubleshoot this myself and could not figure it out, and then my local Western dealer took a stab at it and could not fugure it out. It is a Western ProGaurd V-Plow. The plow will raise and lower, and hold, just fine. It will also scoop, V, and angle just fine, except that as soon as you set it, the plow sides will fall back.

For instance, I will hold the scoop button on the joystick (plow is up) and it will scoop. About one second later I will hear a click, and then it will loose pressure. We have taken apart all of the 6 valves, cleaned them, and bench tested them. The dealer also took apart the control valve inside. They are telling me that the problem is the drivers side cylinder, but they do not have a new one on hand, nor do they have a repair kit for mine. i would order a new cylinder, but I am not convinced, because of the click that I hear, that the cylinder is the problem. The cylinder seems to hold tight, until I hear a click in the pump, and THEN it lets down. It seems to me that for some reason one of the valves is operating incorrectly due to another problem (due to the click that we hear a second after it is in scoop position or when I angle it), My dealers service department seeems to be kind of a joke.

Does anybody have any ideas of what it could be and how I could test for it?

I REALLY appreciate it!

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

do both wings fall back? if so it is not the cylinder. remove the hoses from the cyl and cap them. does the wing come back now? if yes the cyl is bad.

3. 36Tango

36Tango Junior Member
    from BF Iowa

Yes, both fall back. They tell me that if one is bad it can cause them both to fall back, but it sounds like a cop out to me. they said something about "since it is a double acting cylinder......."

Besides that, it holds them fine for just a second until I hear that little "click".

Now they want me to pay them for 4 hours worth of trouble shooting that was doing nothing but changing out parts. I dont think that they really have a clue!

4. no lead

this is always a pain. since both wings drift i will say bad oring in one of the primary or secondary relief valves. possibly debris in one of the seats. DONT lose the little ball.

5. 36Tango

36Tango Junior Member
    from BF Iowa

They say that ther tore in down and checked that, but like I say, My trust with them is pretty thin. I may need to do it myself. I asked them if they knew of a Western Plow dealer

The plow holds tight, then a click, then it droops.

6. no lead

the click is normal. it would be nice to know what they checked. could also be a pilot operated check valve. a or b i think. c and d would not make both sides drift.

maybe B&B can shed some light on this.

7. 36Tango

36Tango Junior Member
    from BF Iowa

I did not realize that the click was normal. Like I say, it is right that that point that the cylinders relax and the sides fall back. What is that click from?

I will check the pilot operated check valves.

I really appreciate the help with this. I always try to help folks when I can (from pulling out of the ditch, changing flat tires, rides to the gas station, etc.). I tell my kids that by doing so, good folks will always be there to help you when you need help. Folks like you guys prove me exactly right on this theory!