1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western V plow, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mweb250, Nov 22, 2009.

1. mweb250

mweb250 Junior Member
    from midwest

I am thinking of putting a 7.5ft western mvp plow on a 09 chevy 2500. What are the pro's/con's of the v plow. Is it worth the extra money, or should i just go with a western straight blade pro plow. Any help would be great!
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

The price difference between a V and a striaght blade isn't so great, at least not anymore. The V is a huge, huge bonus in efficiency. You will out produce a straight blade probably 2-1 at least in final clean up, you'll cut back up about in half. And I think you'd need a 8'2" or 8'5" on a 2500.
  3. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

4. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I agree as well. Put the thought of the 7.5 away, you need the 8.5 for your 2500, especially if its not a regular cab. The 7.5 at full angle, V or scoop will not be wide enough and you will be driving over your windrows. The Western MVP Plus is an awesome plow.

And don't pay attention to snocretes bitterness, but in the future try to use the search tab first.
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

hey now be nice......I guess when the join date is nov 2009 its one thing, but 3 yrs of being a member you would think one would catch on a little bit? Oh well, sorry if I pissed anybody off (not really)......But I'll give you my 2 sense, wait I dont have any sense.....I meant 2 cents, sh*t I dont have that either........Ok, good thoughts on the 7.5 being to narrow for a full size long bed pickup, but what about adding factory wings to the 7.5. Wouldn't that be better than a 8.5 without wings?
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd get at least the 8.5 on that truck, with wings as an option for later.

I'd also look at a Boss before I signed for the Western.....
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have a 7.5 pro plow on truck best of both worlds driveways easy to do and pkg lots
  8. orange toys

orange toys Member

im looking at getting this same plow for my 04 2500HD
  9. schuitb

schuitb Member

7.5 too small

The wings are strong but not as strong as the plow moldboard.. They are also expensive to replace. I would get the 8.5 hands down. Boss has an 8 foot 2 inch plow the can get wings added as well.. I think that you will find the 8.5 is not as big as you think it is and that it is just right.
  10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

get out it not to small if i want wings 18 inches on each side

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

As they say we all could use the extra inches.Pony up for the western 8-1/2 .Straight blade can't go thru frozen ice/snow at the beginning of driveways.You can clean up trails and stack better with the vee.Better air flow for the front end.