1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western V Plow, Cracked Welds, and Creases! - Part 2 (Pics)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

OK, here we go. Remember these pics are from a cheap disposable camera. First of all, this is the "stop" design on the 9.5'. In the pic, right "below" the angle ram, is a square steel plate that is rusted. This contacts the plate on the moldboard just "above" and to the left of the trip spring in the pic.

~Chuck

stops.jpg

2. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Here is a view of the stop on the opposite side, making contact with the stop on the moldboard. You can almost see the crack along the top of the stop on the moldboard.

~Chuck

stops2.jpg

3. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Here you can see the crack in the stop on the moldboard.

~Chuck

cracked_stop.jpg

4. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Here you can see the crack to the left of the angle ram. It is cracked in the same place on the other wing as well.

~Chuck

crack1.jpg

5. Chuck Smith

from NJ

A view of the same cracked weld, from the opposite side.

~Chuck

crack3.jpg

6. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Here you can see the crease from the angle ram mounting area, diagonally up toward the top of the plow.

~Chuck

crease1.jpg

7. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Here you can see the crack in the left wing weld.

~Chuck

crack2a.jpg

8. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Here is a closer view of the crease in the left wing.

~Chuck

crease1a.jpg

9. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Here is a pic of the F450 the plow is mounted on.

~Chuck

f450_3.jpg

10. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Here is a pic of the base angle. Quite different than the base angle on the 8.5' model. From the front the cutting edges look like they have plenty of meat left, but, you can see here the base angle is starting to wear already. I can say side by side with a Western straight blade, the straight blade was scraping much better.

~Chuck

base_angle.jpg

11. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

Chuck,Looks the same as my 9.5 fisher all the same cracks and creases !!

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have repaired a few with those types of cracks.I haven't seen any creased moldboards yet.

After repairing all the welds,I notched the vertical ribs,and welded in a piece of 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 rectangular tubing between the two inner ribs all the way over to angled rib which is cracked,to help box in the area.It stopped the cracking,and I'm sure it could only help in the twisting or creasing of the moldboard.

13. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Chuck,good pics. I dont know what to say except that is seriously teaked plow.Im dissapointed,as a western fan,and user i expected more from that plow,in the way of durability. You can see that truck isnt heavy,and you said it hadnt been abused.Have you contacted western about it?.They must knopw about it,you would think they would have reinforced wings or brackets to stiffen them,for a field fix by now. My Boss 9'2" has had nothing happen like that at all.I bet my truck weight is close to yours at 11000-12000lbs.

14. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

That is crease for crease,crack for crack EXACTLY what the Fishers are doing!I have welded those same cracks so many times it aint funny and now the last one i welded also had a cracked A frame beyond welding!Now these guys are hard on equipment but come on,this is a pain:realmad: The dealers claim there are no problems,i find this hard to believe as i see it first hand every week.

15. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Must be nice to have a V-plow?? Having to pay almost 5 grand and turn around and weld, and modify it. This is sad, and an unexceptable product constuction. That plow doesn't look that old in the pics. I was thinking about purchasing a v- plow, but now probly not. keep the straight blades, and keep using the loader with the snow pusher. I don't know about you guys, but I can't aford a 4-5 grand for a pile of scrape steal that I have to weld on every year or so.
    How is the Boss V holding up???:eek: :(

16. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Well,I'm not the one buying them,I'm the one making $$$ welding them,even so,your right,it is unacceptable,at the same time there are alot of guys running them who are not having any probs and love them,go figure?

17. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Chuck,

Got to love those Western/Fisher V plow's. The 9.6 weights in quite a bit heavier than the 8.6 and affects the truck differently when plowing.

For the base angle wear check the A frame profile when the plow is dropped and have someone watch while you plow. We remounted several to sit higher at the truck putting the A frame level or slightly high at the truck. You might see a little more edge wear though.

Nice picts from a disposable camera.

Jerre

18. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

Sooooo would a guy Mig weld those joints,or use a stick ,say 7018?:eek:

19. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I was my dealer to pick up a plow motor, and I saw some of the new ones they had on the lot.

They shortened up the torque box, and added a triangle, similar to what I drew on this pic.

Still doesn't explain the other cracks in the spring stop and moldboard mount. Seems like it will help the tweaking of that torque box aera, and keep those welds from cracking.

crease1a.jpg

20. Chuck Smith

from NJ

As I mentioned in the other thread, the plow is about a year old. It plowed one storm last winter, that was about 2". This winter, it plowed 2 storms before I began driving it, and it was cracked when I got it. As I did point out, I plowed the 24" snowfall we got, with the cracks and creases, with no apparent additional damage. That doesn't make up for the damage that did occur.

snow_man_48045 - This is a known common problem with the Fisher 9.5' plows, and in this case, the Western 9.5' plow. As far as I know, the 8.5' Western does not have this problem. BOSS plows had (or have) a problem with the metal tearing at the center hinge. Pics have been posted before of that issue. That would not stop me from buying a V plow though. To each his own.

I have not contacted Western, but I will e mail them a link to this thread (if they have not read it already).

I too think it is unacceptable for a brand new plow. I can only imagine the additional damage if the truck had a spreader on the back, or 2 tons of ballast when plowing.

~Chuck