1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western V or Boss V ?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stackmaster, Oct 30, 2009.

1. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

If you had to pick Between the Western V and the Boss V, what would you pick?? And why??
  2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Western V.I like the trip edge. I'm not a fan of the full trip v plows.
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I like the trip edge, I like no chain lift. So...... Boss
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Chain lift stacks better, I prefer the trip edge. I like Boss plows a lot, but Western V's for me.

Boss guys always hate on the chain lifts. I've ran them for years, Bosses too, and I don't see 1 single disadvantage to having a chain lift.
  5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I know of 1 but only 1...hoses can get caught inbetween the chain and plow.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

7. Premier

Premier Senior Member

Boss, I have run them both side by side, I perfer the Boss, the hydros are faster and seem much more responsive, Seemed to have less breakdowns with the boss.
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss ,because I own 2 already.
  9. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I have both but the western is a unimount so it a bit older. I love my boss plow and it's very simple mechanically and easy to work on. I do like the trip edge on the western and I'll admit, I haven't
    plowed with the western yet.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

But have you plowed any snow with them?
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No comment !
  12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have both and I'd buy both again any day. If I had to choose just one I would go with the Western. Locking cylinders are standard, the one-touch controller is superior to the Boss multi-touch controller and the trip edge is superior to the full trip moldboard.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  13. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

Western or Boss... and I sell both!

My personal preference is the Western. Although Boss is darn good as well.
    Western advantages (IMHO)
    1) Chain Lift, Simple and effective. Stacks Well, Very easy to run the plow up a bank and short hook the chain when something breaks! (sooner or later they ALL break!)
    2) Ultra-mount, Far and away the best mounting system there is! No electrical power required to hook up, Therefore you can even hook or unhook when problems arise!, See bracket at end of point 1!
    3) Double acting cylinders, Can back-drag without blades coming forward.
    4) Trip edge, will trip in any position!
    5) Module controlled headlights, no switch necessary to switch between truck and plowlights.
    6) Look of truck in off season, No unsightly push bar to look at all summer!

I could very easy counter all these points with advantages of Boss plows, But that will be another post!

Hope this helps!
  14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I can give you 2 disadvantages of the chain lift

1) the direct lift is instant lift, when you hit the up the blade lifts instantly NO waiting for the lift cylinder to take up the slack in the chain before the blade lifts.

2) when driving around with the blade up on a chain lift plow and you go over RXR tracks Or BuMP the blade can bounce. Ive actual had the chain unhook from a Fisher after a bounce. The direct lift has NO play to allow for blade bounce.

I have a Fisher 7 1/2 HD and a Boss 7 1/2 V they stack the same. The V can carry much more snow onto the pile but thats because its a V.
  15. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I sure like my boss plows. I havn't run a western yet. I would try it but am not empressed with the chain lift. They all have their problems and advantages. When a boss trips, its not the trip that is bad, its the return that is earth shattering.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

I run western.dealer support should be you deciding factor.remember when you blow a 15 dollar hose you can short chain the plow.i also like a little play in the plow.it's easier on the front end.they are both the best around you choice.
  17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When you blow a $15 hose and you don't have a spare, wrenches and fluid in the truck you deserve a kick in the a$$.

I run both and would buy both again. Smartlocks are a must and should be standard on all.
    I agree with the dealer support. I don't even know any where close to me that sells Boss plows. They are very rare in the immediate area.
  18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

1) The thing I like best about it is your #1 reason for not. When you push into a pile the plow lifts itself. All you are then lifting is the chain, b/c the plow is already at its highest point. Less stress on the motor. I've never had to "wait" to pick up the slack. Lets say I did, what would I lose? A whole half of a second? Lets say the lift cyl was completely compressed in float position.......the chain slack is what, 2"? Not much down time there.

2) If you lost a chain over RR tracks or a bump in the road, you must've been doing about 90 and been completely airborn. To actually come unhooked it had to have not been hooked properly to begin with. Also, I've seen a lot of guys clip the slack of the chain to the chain to prevent this from happening; although I think its quite unnecessary. Also, if your chain is hooked properly, it should be on the stops when its all the way up anyhow, thus not allowing room for slack when the blade is up. Lastly, we're talking v's. Claims about floating plows down the road are always straight blades. This I can imagine could happen at higher speeds. They're way lighter and grab way more air during transport.

Now I'm assuming you've only ran one of each, so I'm not trying to sound rash. But for one, direct lift or not, the Boss plows do bounce a little over tracks and bumps......namely due to the full trip. They don't slam around, but they do move. Secondly, if you say both of your plows stack the same, you are proving my point b/c your V should stack way more snow than your straight blade.
  19. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

New Western's

They are just a fast as Boss, finally

They will trip in the v-position

You can take the mounting brackets off in the summer and its hard to tell you even had a plow on the truck
  20. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies. That really helped me alot and I Have decided to go with A Western V because, well, guys really seem to like there Westerns and also I've dealt with the dealer before and they are closer than the boss dealer. (they are also very knowledgeable)
    Thanks again for the replies. They have made my decision SOOOO much easier. Now just gotta figure out which Western but will have to start another thread for that.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!