1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western V-Box Salt Spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MeeksCo, Sep 8, 2009.

1. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

I'm looking for advice about this spreader. I am looking to get one this year.
    Two questions, is the spreader worth it after the purchase and fixing it up and will my 96 K1500 half ton hold it up with a full bed of salt.

Here is the description of the spreader:
    ***v box salt spreader needs work but used it last season conveytor chain is streached to the limit and clutch is weak put new honda motor on it 2 seasons ago runs great $600 obo***

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Spreader:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Iowalawn

Iowalawn Member
    from Iowa

is the spreader worth it after the purchase and fixing it up? NO
    Will my 96 K1500 half ton hold it up with a full bed of salt? NO

Clutchs are not cheap, Chains are not cheap and not fun to put in, Looks like No Controller so all it has going for it someone riged up a motor to make it run and thats it. Save your money get a Tailgate sander/Spreader, Will not beat your half ton up.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The problem I have is once the spreader is in the truck 1/2 the load limit has been met. You load a full load of salt in it your way over the limit. You run into the wrong State Trooper, you have a problem ! They lost a major source of funding, so they have been out there writing any ticket they can. They have been out in the City's doing enforcement because they can !

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  4. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Yea thanks for the reply.
    I should've done my homework _before_ i posted that thread. I started researching and realized I was a nutcase for considering it would work.
    I did find a couple of nice buyer's and snowex's today for around 325 complete.

Thanks again.