1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western v-box motor

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by chev_4x4, Jan 1, 2013.

1. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

I have an older western v-box, pre ice breaker, with an 8.5 briggs motor. The motor died and am looking for a new one. Waiting for my local dealer to get back to me. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with what model motor I will need? Thanks for any and all help.

2. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I bought one for my old spreader from a farm store we had to do I little fab work but it was very minimal

3. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Maybe you should think about doing a electric motor conversion.

4. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Swapping to a Honda would be a good move, IMO.

5. LON

LON Senior Member

There is a lot of changes that need to be made. The new engine will be either a 10.5hp B&S I/C or 11hp Honda. Both are taller & wider. You will have to make the base plate 2" wider & longer. In doing that your engine cover no longer is big enough to cover your engine so you'll have to do something with it.

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

If the old engine just needs a rod or piston that would be the best bet and is pretty easy and cheap to do if the walls are still in good shape...a new honda engine will probably cost more then the sander is worth as they definately dont give those away

7. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

its a stainless v so its. not going anywhere. the old motor is rusted junk so no rebuilding. found a replacement model now just looking for best price.

8. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

its a stainless v so its. not going anywhere. the old motor is rusted junk so no rebuilding. found a replacement model now just looking for best price.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Convert to electric. Motor is 300.00 and the price of wiring and a constant duty solenoid to activate. Maybe another 200.00 max.
    For 500.00 freedom from a pony engine is magical

10. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

plowking, any links to get those things so I can research it some more, because the thought crossed. my mind

11. vlc

vlc Senior Member

I'm interested too, plowking. I have a 15 year old meyer diamond spreader. Everything is in great shape for its age, but the motor is old. Cheaper than buying a new spreader when this motor does decide to quit.

12. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

13. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Try harbor freight tools it should run you under $200. If you do plan to spend that much convert it to 12 volt you will not regret it

14. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i always replace sander motors to anything that is at least 10hp. I have to speaders that have 15hp motors that i have gotten either off ebay or locally used for less that 150.00.
    The extra hp comes in handy if your material freezes.