1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western V Blade vs. Fisher V Blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cpr, Oct 4, 2004.

1. cpr

cpr Junior Member

I have been looking at many different types of plows, I am sure on the V blade, But not so sure on western vs. fisher. Is there a difference if so what is it, and which is better? I have a fisher 7'6" straight blade and have great luck with it, but my dealer is really pushing the western. he said that they are almost the same. Just wonderd everyones thoughts on this. By the way I also orderd a snow-ex 6000 series spreader, I hope that it holds up the same way my mini pro has.

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

They use the same exact blade,one is red and one is yellow,different headgear and mounts but everything else is real close if not exact.
    If it were a straight blade i'd go Fisher but he's right with the V plow,either one will do.

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Little off topic but i got to check out the western pro plus model plows this weekend at the Big E...wow they made a huge improvement they look a lot stronger.

On the V plow personally i would go with fisher because thats what ive always used and have had great luck.According to arc they are the same blade so i guess it doesn't make much difference.Just what headgear you like better.

4. Silverhowie

Silverhowie Junior Member

I was going to tell you that Western plows are lighter than Fisher, so everything else being equal...go with the lighter plow,
    But I looked it up:
    Western MVP 8'6": 899# (+ 33 to 115# for UltraMount) = 932 to 1014 #
    Fisher EZ-V 8'6": 808# (+ 60# for Minute Mount 2) = 868 #
    :confused: Looks like I had it reversed...unless I missed the cutting edge or something :D

5. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

I have two fisher v's and love em... but at the end of last year i had my 2003 model next to a 2003 model western on the same truck. The blades are the same, but the western has stops that help relieve stress on the cylinders when fully retracted. The truck side mount on the fisher seems alot beefier than the western and goes much farther back on the trucks frame, which i think is very important. The other plus of the western is it has a central pivot point on the a frame to allow the blade to contour better to the ground.

So to summarize, truck side of fisher is better, but blade side of western is better. Plus the western comes ready for a cutting edge. The fisher has to have the trip edge worn down first before one should be put on.

Hope this helps

6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

edship19,what size V's are you running?The blade stops you mention now come standard on the Fisher 9.5V,if they didn't,go back to your dealer and get them,they donot come on the 8.5V,at least not on the Fisher version.

7. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

I run 8.5 's wish i had 9.5's

8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

IIRC you can put the stops on either the 8.5 or the 9.5 and they came with the 9.5 I bought.

Its like Chevy or GMC, pretty much the same truck. What color of truck do you have? Gota pick a plow that matches ;)