1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western v-blade or western wide out

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 2moresleeps, Nov 11, 2008.

1. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

ANYONE have input on the wideout? I know it's new. I like it for my truck however, not too sure how well it will work for the accounts I have.

The plows here have gone up a couple of grand so I really need to make the right choice. Even if they didnt go up, I still need the right choice.
  2. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

What kind of accounts do you have?
    The wideout is a good all around plow but I like the 810 myself the 810 cleans a little better to me.
  3. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

I don't have either but I think my next plow would be a vee.I
  4. 2moresleeps

from Ontario

thx. I found the western forum after searching to no avail. using the "search".

The accounts I have include a few drive thru windows which the vee blade did very well. Now I have larger accounts where I can see the wideout coming in handy.

I didn't find the scoop position all that great. What good is the scoop if you are constantly going back to clean up spill off?
  5. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

The wideout will move alot of snow fast so I would go for the wideout it work great in large
  6. schuitb

schuitb Member

V with wings

most vee plows now have optional wing attachments.. snow way's vee has 5 types of wings and are cheaper.. Western has wings for it's pro plus and MVP Plus plows... they should help with spill off..
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

If I had the money, I would definitely buy a wideout. They are by far one of the nicest plows I have seen. My old boss owns a few, and he absolutely loves them.
  8. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

I would agree a v with wings is nice but many states have gone to max width of 8.5' and putting the wings on and off would require me to to put my boots on. I love my wideouts just make sure you charge for that expensive plow.
  9. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have 2 Vs and a 810. I would have all 810s, or wideouts, if price would have allowed. I bought all 3 used, and just couldnt find a used 810 or wideout this fall, so I went with a 8,5V. You are really talking about 2 completely different types of plows, with each having its own strengths and weaknesses.
  10. 2moresleeps

from Ontario

This is by far the one response that suits my dilemma. I have drive thru areas that the V blade would be superior for but for EVERYTHING else, the wideout would cut my plow time down incredibly.

I have a V and could interchange or send my second truck with the V to do the lots that require it.......I like to be in control so I am not thinking of having anyone else do the work yet it seems appropriate.
  11. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

If you already have a V get the wideout for the lots. Time is money right?payup
  12. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Personally, I think once you have an expanded wing plow, be it an 810 or Wideout, you will find a way to do those lots so you dont have to use a V. The wing plows are so efficient, I was sold on Vplows until I got my 810.
  13. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

nick, what part of iowa are you in?im am from the dsm area and like the wideout but would like to see how the 810 works also.
  14. noaubab727

noaubab727 Junior Member

its seems that you already have your mind made up!!!! I use all v plows including lots for wal marts and i could not imagine using anything else .... i had a f 550 w/ 9 ft blade on it for the larger lots and the v plow cleaned up alot quicker but then again i am partial to v plows be it western or boss!!!!

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

we just bought a wide out and put it on the truck that had a 8ft pro plow before.
    same lot with same amount of snow time was 27 mins vs 48 mins.
    only thing I would recommend is that you get the rubber flat. we had it on the 8ft but didnt get one on the wideout and now we are looking for one cause its a big difference.
    time is money, (unless your getting paid by the hour....lol) Next chance I get that we get a similar amount of snow I will switch trucks with a friend who has a fisher v and see what the times are.
  16. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

I am getting my wideout put on tomorrow, whatdo you mean by a rubber flap?

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Rubber flap on the top of the blade to prevent the snow from blowing over the blade. I dont actually know if they make one yet I have to call tomorrow, but if not Im making one. You can see my old blade with the flap in the pic.
    If the dont have one for the wideout yet I have been told converyor belt can be used, or I will just get one for a proplow and use it. IT wont cover the wings but thats fine.