1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tike, Jan 14, 2009.

1. tike

tike Junior Member

help.
    I am new to thissite and to dealing with plow trucks. I just spent half an hour typing a post and found out i wasnt logged in .
    I"ll try it again.
    I have a 1984 chevy c-10 4x4 305 cu in. auto trans.with a Western Unimount plow frame mark 3 isarmatic pump cable controls.
    after much trial and error and the shop manual we finally got online .My brother in law and me finally got the thing working.
    The problem is the battery isnt big enough and drains after a couple of cycles. The thing is wired correctly according to manua and works quite well with a battery charger hooked up.I have read a couple of posts about hooking up another battery. I have a couple of questions .
    First ..Does the second battery have to be the same amperage and crancking amp ratings or can they be different?
    Second.. Is the stock altenator on the chevy big enough for 2 batteries?
    third.. Can you tell me the correct way to hook up 2 batteries for this application?
    any help will be appreciated . thanks.
    tike

2. Precision1

Precision1 Junior Member

Check your resistance between your battery and your plow. That can cause your battery to draw heavily.

3. mautore

mautore Member

How old is your current battery? It may be time to replace it, also you might want to check the output of your alternator.

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Not to be rude, but do you have the truck running when you cycle the plow? if not, it will definitly kill the battery quick.

As for the batteries. It is strongly recommended that they be the same exact battery, and be the same age.

Yes, the alternator is big enough, but some will recommend a bigger one to help out.

Battery hookup can be positive to positive and negative to negative. However I would add a ground fromt he second battery to the truck frame.

5. tike

tike Junior Member

western mount

the battery was brand new and the correct size for the truck.I believe we drained battery trying to see if the unit worked.The battery is fully charged now but have yet to try it

6. tike

tike Junior Member

westernmount

Ido you mean check the resistance on the hot cable feeding the motor.if so will check

7. tike

tike Junior Member

western mount

footnote to the story.
    the western plow that we"ve been working on actually plowed its first driveway today.
    The battery was fully charged .The plow and truck worked fine.plow cycled left right in required amount of time .and came down with just enough thud to knock of the sticky snow. The altanator is putting out and seems to be keeping battery charged.
    Tightening the alt. belt helped.Still havent hooked up lites yet. making progress.
    When i figure it out ill post a picture.
    One last note. the truck had been sitting and melting into the ground with a broken front drive shaft for the last 10 yrs.started up not all that hard.
    all you chevy lovers must like that.
    thanks to all who responded to my questions and il try to get a picture of it online here this week.
    tike