1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wishingtoplow, Aug 14, 2007.

1. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

I just hooked up my wiring and something is not right. I have power to my controller, and when i hit the switches to raise,lower, angle, the bottom terminal on the solenoid lights when the button is pressed. One of the large terminals has power on top, but the other large terminal never has power. Is my solenoid bad?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can you hear the solenoid "click" when you press any of the function buttons? If not, and you have no power on the other large terminal on the solenoid (also when the buttons are pressed) then replace the solenoid.

3. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

replaced the solenoid and still nothing, You can hear a click come from the plow and the other large terminal still has no power. any suggestions?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check BOTH small wires on the solenoid? The brown/red should have power in the up/left/right function. The orange/black wire should have ground. Did you check the orange/black wire for ground? When the solenoid is working properly you should hear a very distinctive "click" fron the solenoid when you toggle one of the functions. If the orange/black wire doesn't have a good ground then the solenoid wont work. Check your grill connectors and clean and grease the pins inside them. The orange/black wire gets it's ground through the plow plugs.

5. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

I will check all the grounds, How do i clean the pins?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I use a small stiff bristle brush and a can of brake clean to clean all the crud out of the plugs. You can also spread the male side pins slightly with a small screwdriver to be sure they're making good contact with the female side of the plug. Make sure you do both sides of both plugs too as the plow side harness gets it's ground through the plug with the two large pins. If the plow side of the harness doesn't have good ground then neither will the control harness on the truck side.

7. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

Thanks B&B

8. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

checked the ground on the plow side and it is good. I have no power to the other large terminal of the solenoid, and no power at the plow. You can hear a clicking at the plow when you hit the raise and lower, side to side functions on the controller, Have i hooked something up wrong?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check for ground at the small terminal,orange/black wire at the solenoid? This wire supplies ground to the solenoid THROUGH the multi pin connector FROM the plow when the plow is plugged into the truck. That's why you can have ground out at the plow but not have it on the truck side of the harness since it goes through the grill connector FROM the plow. Basically, the ground can be getting out to the plow side but NOT comming back through the grill connector to the truck side of the harness, which is where the small orange/black wire gets its ground for the solenoid. To trouble shoot this further, you can run a jumper wire from the neg side of the battery directly to the small terminal on the solenoid that has the orange/black wire. If the solenoid then click's, then you do have a ground problem through the grill connector.

10. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

There is good ground at the orange/black terminal on the solenoid. We attached a jumper wire from the positive side of the battery to the plow motor and it ran. We then attached a jumper to the positive of the battery to the positve of the motor relay and it also ran, This is still tellling me to replace the solenoid because it does not even click, any ideas?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's possible that you got a bad relay...did you buy a genuine Western one or an aftermarket one? If you have power on the red/black wire with a function buttom pressed and ground on the orange/black wire and you have battery power at one of the large terminal's then the only other option is to try a different relay..

12. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

B and B. I bought a new solenoid today from auto zone. brought it home and hooked it up and had nothing. We switched the small wires around, and then you could hear the solenoid click, but when you pressed the button on the controller, it would turn the controller off, and still nothing on the plow, any ideas?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since you mentioned that you bought it at Autozone, is it by any chance an old style Ford starter solenoid? They wont work correctly with the Unimount wiring if the small terminals are marked "I" and "S". If this is correct, I'd first get the correct Western solenoid.

14. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

Thats exactly what it is. but, when i bought the plow, i got a solenoid that wasnt this kind. how do you test a solenoid? if this helps at all, when i run a jumper wire from the battery positive to the motor positive, you can angle the plow and raise it via the controller.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many solenoids look the same but they're wired different internally, but to test a solenoid that designed for plow use that has 2 large terminals and 2 small terminals, all you have to do is connect ground to one of the small studs and connect power to the other small stud. When you do....the solenoid should click. To test a Ford style where the small studs are marked "I" and "S" you connect a ground to the mounting bracket and then connect power to the "I" terminal and it should "click". Since you said that you can bypass the solenoid with a jumper cable and make the plow function, and you have power on the red/black wire and ground on the orange/black wire, I'm still lead to believe that you have a solenoid problem. Even if the cable between the battery and the solenoid is disconnected, you should still hear the solenoid click so a poor connection at the battery cable wouldn't cause the problem your experiencing either, so it still narrow's it down to the solenoid.....

16. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

Just want to thank you B and B. I got a western plow solenoid yesterday and put it on today, and it works like a charm. Thanks for all your help.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to help bud, and it's good to hear you got it all fixed up and ready to go. :drinkup: