1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowman123, Jul 20, 2011.

1. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Western unimount I was wondering if it would matter if I changed the bolt that holds the A frame to the plow to a clevis pin would it be ok or would their be a problem. The reason why I want to do this is because if their ever was a problem it would be much easier to take apart.

Thanks,

2. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

As long as the pin is the same toughness as the bolt I dont see why not, the problem is bolts are graded, in most cases grade 5 for this application. Made to bend as opposed to break under stress, thus keeping the blade from falling all the way off.

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I don't think it would be a good idea. When you tighten the bolt it squeezes everything together. On some of the old unimounts there was a nut welded inside of the quadrant so you would tighten the bolt into the welded nut first, then put the nut on the bottom and tighten the nut on.

Just my to cents, it may work fine.

4. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Thanks guys all the help I can get will help me out a lot thanks again.