1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Won't Lift

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 24v6spd, Mar 4, 2010.

1. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I went out and tried to lift my unimount plow, it barely lifted off the ground then stopped. It was angling really slow too. When I tried it again it worked normally. Now it will not lift and angling really slowly. I can hear the solenoid clicking, does that mean it is good. Could it be the motor, all I hear is the clicking of the solenoid no motor running. The motor is original (15 years old). Any help is gretaly appreciated.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

there are tow big studs on the solenoid.using a screw driver jump across the two big studs. If the motor runs, then the solenoid is bad.

To check the motor. Using jumper cables, hook positive and negative to your battery. On the motor, connect the positive (red clamp (using the jumper cables)) and the black clamp (neg) to ground. If the motor runs, the motor is not bad. If the motor does not run, the motor might be bad....first check all wiring and grounds..

3. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I think I have narrowed the problem down to the power cable coming from the plow motor. Now the problem is that the nut on the stud is really rusty. I have tried liquid wrench and heating the stud but it's not budging. I don't want to break off the stud and trash the motor. Any suggestions?

4. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

If the motor is still in good shape , a competent starter/alternator shop can replace the stud if it snaps off, it's not the end of the world for the motor . It is mearly a F**d starter motor stud and insulators that are used .

If you were closer I would offer to repair it , do it about half a dozen times during plow season.

TOM

5. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

How hard is it to replace the stud? Can I do it myself?

6. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

The stud is an easy replacment , it is , however , soldered to most of the motors field coils I have seen , you will need to dissasemble the motor , remove the field coils and re solder the new stud to the field coils with a small torch and some solder, noting position when soldering on the new one.

I have also seen some of the motors with the field coil ends crimped to the stud , same principal applies , dissasemble the motor , cut the old stud off , solder on the new one .

Make sure to mark all pieces (armature direction , field coil orientation , etc...) when dissasembling , it needs to go back together the exact same way it came apart.

I get my studs from a starter / alternator supply house , but a local starter / alternator shop should have them.

Good luck , let me know if I can be of any other help.

TOM

7. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Thanks. I will see if I can get the bolt off the stud tommorow. At least I know it can be replaced if needed. How much do the parts cost?

8. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

If you take $5 , an honest shop will give you change. :nod:

TOM