1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western unimount won't go right

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Sharpcut 1, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Searched the forums, could'nt find answer. Have a uni-mount,was plowing, locked up. Would'nt go up/down or left/right,but pump was running. Found the 4-way valve was'nt moving. Replaced 4 way valve, got unit to raise, lower, and go left. Unit won't go right, but you can push it to the right. Motor sounds like it is deadheading when going to the right. Ran 12v and ground to 3 way coil, can hear valve click. Took out valve and cleaned, opened/closed on benchcheck. Installed back in unit, powered up 3 way coil and motor with driver's side ram hose unhooked. NO fluid flowing out of hose, motor sounds deadheaded. Took apart poppet valve, cleaned and re-installed. Springs still intact. Is poppet not opening?? Should I replace poppet?? Never had this issue before with any other uni-mount. Thanks for your help!!!!

2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Nice detailed description of the problem.....I have no idea, but i am subscribing so i can learn the answer :)

It's gotta be in the valve body somewhere, but I know that doesn't help you.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

when was the last time you change the fluid and clean the screen?

S3 controls the (bottom valve 4 way) the right and up position. Did you check the channel (were the S3 screw into) to see if there was anything inside blocking the passage way?? Or the "o" ring underneath the pump?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

your problem is in the s-2 3 way valve. it has the green wire. does it get power when you push right? if yes, does it shift?

5. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

I replaced the S-2 valve, and if you read my 1st post, ran power and ground directly to it and checked green wire and ground through controller. I can hear valve clicking, but when I unhook driver's side hose from valve manifold, I get no fluid out of fitting, and pump sounds deadheaded. Moved plow around with valves out to shoot fluid out of manifold so there is no debris in manifold. Fluid is less than month old, and is still dark blue, no sign of water. All other functions work great. Only thing I can think of is Poppet is not opening. Anyone else ??? Looks like the poppet needs to open, it's between the valve and hose in hydro system. Thanks!!

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

My bad....I meant to say the S2 (3way) instead of the S3(4way).

But, the S2and the S3 control the left angle, were the S2 control the right angle. If this is the case, the s2, has to be functional as well as the S3.

I am wondering if the pressure hose to the ram is collapse. If you have an extra hose laying around hook it up and see what happens.

Or the controller might be the problem??

Just in case here is a test for the controller functions.
    ctssssss.jpg

As for the poppet check valve, i believe that might not be your problem
    popvale.jpg

ctssssss.jpg

popvale.jpg

7. nickc

nickc Junior Member
    from NJ

Please help

Hello every one im new to this site and im trying to get in contact with sharpcut1 his unimount angle right problem is the same as mine and I was wondering what fixed his problem any help would be awesome. Quick description 8ft unimount pro plow plus wont angle right motor sounds under load every other function fine no fluid going to driver side ram check all valves and coils im lost please help