1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount won't drop

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pressedun, Feb 23, 2011.

1. pressedun

pressedun Junior Member

Have a Western Unimount plow, it will raise and go left and right but will not drop. Been told it might be the coil, could it be anything else?

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Check the grille plugs, I had this problem on a Fisher a few weeks ago turned out that the controller plug was squished between the A frame and headgear. I relocted it and has been fine.

3. pressedun

pressedun Junior Member

The plow has been hard wired to the truck so I know the plug will never be an issue.

Just tried the controller of a guy I subcontract for and his worked just fine in my truck, had it narrowed down to a bad solenoid or the controller.

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

The solenoid has no affect on it going down.

5. pressedun

pressedun Junior Member

Everything I was told pointed to the S1 solenoid, the plug or the controller. I'll remember that in the future. I'm just in my first year of plowing so I don't know a ton but I'm learning.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

If you tried the controller and it worked, then it's the controller. Was it a joystick or a handheld?

7. pressedun

pressedun Junior Member

It was a joystick and I replaced it with a new handheld.

8. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

'S1' would commonly be called the coil, and will effect going down (white wire if I remember correct). 'Solenoid' would be the one under the hood controlling the pump motor and does not effect going down. You are looking the right direction, if the 'new' controller worked then that would be my guess. You might also check the wiring at the controller connector and the 'coil'. Mine will not go down from time to time and it is the connector at the grill, usually when I try to get the connector behind the grill to keep rain/ice out of it. I give it a twist and the plow will function fine again.

Chad

9. pressedun

pressedun Junior Member

Thanks, I guess my terminology was incorrect and I'm certain its the controller. Doubt its been replaced as it looks pretty dirty and beat up.

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I asked b/c the little pin switches in the joysticks hang up in time. If you take it and jiggle the stick up and down as hard as you can it will probably fix it. Do it hard enough where you think you'll break it off, no kidding. Up, down, up down as hard as you can. Chances are it will free up. At least this way you can sell it or keep it as a back up.

11. pressedun

pressedun Junior Member

Sounds good, I'll give that a try and either keep it or sell it if I get it to work.