1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western unimount wiring confusion..

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by six5up, Jan 18, 2012.

1. six5up

six5up Junior Member

first off just joined because i keep reading repair threads off this site and a lot of people on here are awesome about offering help with advice and instructions and has been very helpfull! so thanks!!

i have a 99 chev, i installed a western uni mount with a 9 pin harness to. i have installed many and usually have ho problems. this time i am hitting the wall with frustration. first noticed when i got done and hooked up the plow, my hand held remote would not power up, so i checked for power with a tester and found i had it but the remote would not work, so i went back to another truck with the remote and it worked in that one. i grabbed a hard mount box controller and it would power up, but the plow would not mover, i can hear the relay clicking but no movement. checked all wiring at power relay and found good, replaced the relay and same thing!, i get the signal off the remote wire to relay (checked with light) but cant get the relay to switch power to motor? started checking grounds but i was wondering if i am missing something.

also note i decided to not used the plow headlight section of the harness, all signals and marker light are hooked up but i didn't hook up the headlight section with relays, im just using the trucks headlights.

any help and ideas would be appreciated.. i want this thing out of my garage and ready to work! thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

3. six5up

six5up Junior Member

It isn't grounding, if I run a jumper to ground of battery it gets stuck on as soon as I try to move it and motor stays running.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well the gnd is completing the circuit....if the motor is running all the time....either your controller is sending pwr to it...or its stuck. Disconnect the pwr output on the solenoid,,,and try the controller and see what whats going on. If you raise it,,,ck at the pos small terminal if it still has pwr then either controller or wiring.