1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount struggling to go up.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowman123, Oct 19, 2011.

1. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Western Unimount struggling to go up all the way.

I have a Western Unimount pro 9' straight blade that is struggling to go up it moves great left and right but it will not go up all the way it goes up about half way and then you just hear the pump and motor screaming. I am not 100% sure what it could be but I spoke to a western dealer and he said that seems like the pump might have gone bad and might need to be replaced. I changed the filter, fluid and gasket with all new western factory replacements and still no luck. Any input in this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You have one of two basic problems: either there is not enough pressure to push the lift ram up or there is a restriction of some kind creating resistance to going up. The angle requires very little pressure so it will move even with very low pressure. The first thing I would do is put a pressure gauge on the base of the lift ram and see if the pressure is withing specs but most people don't have a gauge so the next step would be to check the gland nut on the lift ram. If it is too tight then it creates extra resistance and acts like low pump pressure. But be careful, sometimes the hex portion of this nut will break right off the nut and then you are in trouble as that is very hard to undo. If the gland nut is not too tight you may have a valve problem. At this point, if you don't have tools it gets a bit harder to do it yourself. If the valves are not opening properly the fluid pressure cannot get to the ram. It could also be debree in the oil gallery causing a restriction but that is rare. The last thing would be pullng the motor and examining the pump for loose gears. I would also look at the o-ring seal between the pump and the casting. If this is broken or missing the pressure will leak away. You could also have a failing pressure relief valve, perhaps a broken spring so the pressure lets go to early. All of these should really be tested with a pressure gauge.

3. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

I already loosened the gland nut so that cannot be it the pump housing was dirty so I cleaned it all out until it was sparkling clean. The western dealer told me that when the pump housing gets dirty like that it can some how get in the pump past the filter and make the pump expand inside thus the loss of pressure making the cylinder not go up all the way. He then said that those pumps are not fixable so I would just have to buy a new pump if that were to be the problem.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

When you say it is screaming, is it making a high pitch noise?

5. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

I am not sure what exact noise it is making but I can tell it is trying to go up all the way but it just cannot.

6. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Pump is shot. Been there....twice!! Just get a pump and put it in. If you did the other work, it will be simple for you.

kevlars

7. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Ya that is what I am leaning towards at this moment.

Thanks,

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sure would be nice to actually know the pressure. I probably is a bad pump but it could just be a bad pressure relief valve too.

The only filter in your system is a screen and it only stops big chunks. Even little chuncks of dirt can damage the pump over time. The pump has two meshing gears that actually do the work and if they get worn the oil back flows rather than build pressure. Chances are you need a new pump though. In the future it is a good idea to change your fluid once a year (in the fall) and clean out the sump. There should also be a magnet in there to collect any ferous metal fragments. They usually feel like they are covered with mud. When you change your fluid feel the mud for larger particals of metal. This is a good indication that something bad is going on.

9. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

I bought this plow used so that is why it was extremely dirty I would never have it get that dirty I would clean it out once a year like you are supposed to do. I personal think that he never changed the hydraulic fluid every since he got the plow. Anyway I bought a used pump off eBay for $50 it sure beats spending $150 if it actually works. The guy told me it was working 100% when he took it out so we will see what happens once I get it in a week.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  10. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

Snowman give me a buzz if you still have problems, the pumps are very easy to work on and fix been there done it

11. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Ok thanks snoway63.