1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount solenoid wiring question

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by wc1881, Nov 1, 2014.

1. wc1881

wc1881 Junior Member

I was given a pump and part of a plow frame off a western unimount. I did not receive the joystick, my question is, can you wire this to toggle switches or is there something with the lower volt solenoids that prevent this? I have an older cable style western plow.
    Thanks Andy

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would wire it in with the factory harness, and factory or at least aftermarket equivalent controller

3. tigers2007

tigers2007 Junior Member
    from Detroit

There is no reason you can't just use some toggles. The problem is that you need to find some heavy duty momentary toggles that can take the abuse of constant use. I once had a Snowbear and built my own up-down controller using a winch contactor and a cheap radio shack toggle. If I was you, I would search out craigslist and ebay for a used controller that is purpose built.

Checkout my old posting here