1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Slow Pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Junior MO, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

:help: I have 2 Unimount plows that are slow moving. The electric motors are fine, replaced one thinking this was the issue but with no luck. They move up, down, left, and right just fine other than very slowly. Any help is appreciated!

2. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

you should check the pump presure. this is easy to do. yuou will need to put a guage in the angle port to check the pump this will tell you a lot. you r look for a reading of 1750 if it is a pro

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

http://westernplows.com/pdf/21936_120198.pdf

Page 6 lists the hydraulic pressure for different types of plows. I have my pump turned up to 1900psi, it's a decent amount faster than it was before adjusting the pump relief valve pressure.

4. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

if you have a heated shop pull it in to see if it gets better if it does then change the filter and fluid. it may work fine until you get in the cold but if it has drawn moisture from sittin over summer it will freeze around your filter making it slow. make sure you get the fluid out of your lines to if its old it will gum up that filter

5. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

Thanks for the input from everyone. I have the guys looking at the plows today. Traditionally we just change the fluid out and call the plows good, but it looks like we need to go deeper into our maintenace routine with checking the filters, etc. We have never changed or cleaned any filters on the plows, and the 2 in question are our oldest at around 12-15 years. Never any issues until now and they have been very good to us.

6. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

I was going to say it's your filter, but I'm sure you've figured that out by now.

If not, pull the motor off, drain the fluid, and pull the two bolts off the pump that hold it down to the bottom of the tank. (The other two bolts hold the pump together, you should be able to tell the difference if you look closely.)

Then spray off the filter with some carb cleaner and all should be good with the world. You don't really have to take the pump out if you don't want to, it just makes it easier to tell if it's clean.

7. tom.807

tom.807 Junior Member

May be too tight

tymusicHIGH FROM NORTH OF THE BORDER, ANOTHER THING THAT SHOULD BE CHECKED HERE IS THE PACKING NUTS. OVER TIME SITTING THE SHAFT AND PACKING DRY OUT CREATING HIGH RESISTANCE TO MOVEMENT. BACK OUT EACH NUT SAY ONE TURN LUBE SHAFT AND PACKING AND FUNCTION PLOW. AFTER LUBED RETIGHTEN PACKING NUT JUST UNTILL SEATED. THIS WILL ASSURE IT IS NOT THE RAMS WORKING OVERTIME AND SHORTENING MOTOR LIFE AS WELL. I AM A MECHANIC AND HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN MANY TIMES IN THE PAST AS WE HAVE SERVICED FLEET TRUCKS WITH PLOWS. GOOD LUCK.

8. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

Well as you all suggested, the filters were clogged. We took out and cleaned as they were packed full of debris. Once hooked up, it was like they were brand new again.
    Thanks for everyone's input and help with this.