1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Slow moving up, Side/side... Please Help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jmo2169, Jan 27, 2011.

1. jmo2169

jmo2169 Junior Member
    from Detroit

Running a western Unimount 7'6" and Plow was working fine all winter so far until about a week ago and all the sudden it felt like it froze up a bit, slow goin up and left or right. Motor was rebuilt before last winter.... I drained the fluid, and replaced it... Still doing the same thing. Put a heater on it tonight, checked the level of fluid with the ram all the way down, and it was at a good level. After havin the heater on it for a couple hours was goin up and down, left and right just fine... Now just in the drive home, about 15 minutes its running really slow again goin up, and left and right... I have read a few other threads and Im still confused. I am mechanically inclined but have never worked on a pump for a plow before... Any ideas on what it could be??? Valve, or solenoid? also when I checked the fluid level at the inspection plug as I unscrewed it slowly I heard a little air come out, like there was some pressure built up inside. Im guessing from some of the other threads that I should check the filter or screen, and flush out and refill! Am I headed in the right direction. Looking for some guidance please... Thank you!!!
  2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

It should raise to full up position in 2 seconds
    Angle side to side completely in 4.

Lots of things could be leading to your issue.

Western has a trouble shooting guide on their website.
    It's in the mechanic's guide.
    Very easy to follow, a lot of tests you can do youself with basic tools.

BTW....did you check the filter on the pump? I have also seen the magnet in the bottom of the pump end up by the filter and restrict it.
  3. jmo2169

jmo2169 Junior Member
    from Detroit

No i didnt check the filter, and the more and more I read Im seeing that I should probably do that. I didnt know you needed to do this, i was told mainly to drain the fluid and refill it... Obviously it looks like pullin out the pump and checkin the filter is gonna be my first step, and also check the magnet. I appreciate your input and Ill update when I figure out what the issue is... All I know is Im very frustrated...
  4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

When you drain the fluid, just maybe you just should of

A) flush the whole system

B) clean the suction screen

C) clean the inside the pump housing

D) check the plow to make sure nothing binding

Then replace the fluid, and purge the system to get the air out.
  5. jmo2169

jmo2169 Junior Member
    from Detroit

I appreciate the input....

I put a new filter on, cleaned out the casing, and flushed out the pump and angle cylinders... Filled it back up and purged.... Working like its brand new again... Ready for some snow!