1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western unimount rehab with nighthawks

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Schwinn68, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I finally finished up the rehab of my 8' unimount today. I stripped the plow down and did a complete repaint.

I got most of the parts for the rebuild from CPW who happen to be only about 20 minutes down the road. I replaced all the springs and eyebolts and even made the plow into a four springer. I put on a new shock, very expensive and new hydraulic hoses. I installed a new snow deflector from Coffman Bros to match the other guys I plow with.

I finished it off today when I built a new light tower and installed the Nighthawk lights. I made the tower out of 2" angle and 4" x 1/4" flat stock. I love the way they make the plow look and can't wait to try them out plowing. The unimount lights on my plow were worn out and they sucked for plowing anyways. I got the new lights from cpw for 219.00 plus tax. Here's some finished pics
    on edit: these pics don't do the plow justice, it looks even better in person

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Looks good, but no bends in the top plate? I bet you see some vibration without any vertical or angular support to the headlight bar.

3. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I still might build some ducting underneath the lights to get some fresh air to the truck when I'm running down the interstate with the plow up. It's more solid than it looks and anything will be better than the old lights. :)

4. wicked85

wicked85 Member
    from Indiana

I live in Hammond IN, where is CPW at and what is the number for them, I need to get some parts.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

6. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

7601 W. 191st Street * Tinley Park, IL 60487
    this is the address to the store I went to. It's right off I-80 and route 43(harlem avenue). very easy to get to. Prices were competitive even with the internet companies and they are very local to me

7. wicked85

wicked85 Member
    from Indiana

Cool, they are local to me too, I can be there in about 20 minutes. Thanks

8. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Looks great, I don't think you will run into any problems with the top plate with it being 1/4". Thats what I used for my uprights and my top is thinner at 1/8" but it has bends in it. I think I may end up redoing mine similar to yours to get my lights lower.

9. tom.807

tom.807 Junior Member

Powered up

tymusicHI FROM CANADA, DID YOU HARDWIRE THE LIGHTS OR BUY THE HARNESS FOR THE NIGHTHAWKS. MY NEIGHBOR DID SIMILAR BUT JUST WIRERED THE LIGHTS INTO THE FACTORY HARNESS. HE HAS THE RELAY SYSTEM I WOULD THINK YOU HAVE THE SAME.

10. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

yes, they are spliced into the 9 pin harness