1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowman123, Oct 24, 2011.

1. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Can you take apart a Western Unimount pump to fix it.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

As far as I know there are no rebuild kits for them but you can certainly take them appart. You will find two gears, on driven and one idler. As the gears wear the oil slips by and you loose pressure. Both the teeth and the sides wear out. There are no seals or anything you can change to restore pressure. To get at them you just unbolt the motor, drain the reservoir and then remove the four bolts that hold it in. Then I believe there is one more bolt that holds the pump sections together. Watch for the O-ring seal under the pump. If you loose it then when you replace the pump it will leak the pressure right back into the reservoir and make things worse. Make sure you take special care to keep everything clean. On my hydraulics course they used to say it takes a piece of dirt only 1/4 the dia of a human hair to do serious damage so keep everything clean and cover it up if you leave it apart.

3. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Ok thanks mishnick I thought it would be one of those things where you open it up and things go shooting across the room.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Nope, no explosions or compressed springs. Very few parts to fall out. The only thing that might fall out is the idler gear.

5. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Ok thanks mishnick.