1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western unimount pump... slow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by alternative, Jan 26, 2005.

1. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

Western unimount pump... slow My plow works well left and right angle.. but up is real slow... if plow is already up .. and you try to go higher it wont...just whines... and from the ground position... it is slow getting up... last week i had it freeze on me .. so warmed up and changed oil and cleaned screen.. ice inside... new oil.. runss but still slow... took it in to shop and plow mechanic said pump is fine.. he wouldnt recommend replacing it.. motor was new last winter.. could it be a weak alt??? was wondering about that too... when i raise.. it really draws on my battery gauage down to like (9)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Recheck the fluid level to start, If that doesnt help, have the pump pressure tested.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

alt. check the packing nut on the top cylinder, if its to tight it will greatly effect the performance. loosen the packing nut then retighten only going a 1/4-1/2 turn once the nut makes contact with the packing. tony

4. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

My amps are about 9 when I raise too, but there is no problem with it moving slow... :redbounce

5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

when you take the pump off to clean the filter/screen, there's a small o-ring that fits in a hole on the underside of the pump. Make sure that this didn't fall off when you took the pump out to clean the screen. Inspect this o-ring to make sure it's not malformed, pinched etc,,,, this could be your problem.