1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western unimount problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fordmstng66, Nov 7, 2010.

1. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I have a unimount plow, and i am hooking it to my 96 k2500. I am using the 3 port iso module, and have everything all hooked up and today went to try it, i get nothing. The red light comes on the controler, but when i try and move the blade, it does nothing. I do not hear the solenoid clicking or anything, but the motor on the plow is making a clicking noise, when i try to move it up, down, left, or right. When i set hooked up the sloenoid for the first time, i fried the casing on a little of the black/orange cable that plugs into the small terminal on the solenoid. Is it possible i did more damage to the control harness? I do have power to the controller though, so i am hoping it is still grounding. I checked and cleaned all the connections on the motor. I also put a test light on the solenoid (new one) and when i hit controler the light lights up when i have it on the red/brown wire. I know there is power at the solenoid also. but it seems like there is no power coming out of the solenoid. Should the solenoid be grounded when it is attacehd to the frame of the truck?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The clicking you hear on the plow is the valves being functioned so the control system is likely fine. You problem is with the under hood solenoid. Check the black/orange wire for good ground DIRECTLY at the small terminal on the solenoid, it needs to have good ground on the black/orange for the solenoid to work because that's the only thing that supplies it with ground. No ground = not worky.

If it's good then the solenoid itself is probably faulty.

3. fordmstng66

Would it be possible to try and run a ground wire from the solenoid to say the frame just to check it. Would it be possible that when I fried that blck/orange wire on the first solenoid it is messing with my grounds. Also when everything is hooked up the lights don't switch over either

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you can run a ground jumper to the solenoid but do it directly from the neg battery terminal, don't risk skewing your results by grounding from the frame. Also be sure the black/orange is securely connected everywhere as well.

Make sure you have the correct headlamp adapters and harness's and that all plugs have good connections if the lights aren't switching over. Very well could be related to your other problems.

5. fordmstng66

Thanking for your help, I will try to ground the solenoid to the battery neg tomorrow and see if that helps. That will atleast help me figure out if my ground wire in the harness is messed up or not. The light harness should be right unless I hooked the connectors wrong for either poitve common or negative common. Looks like I will have to just check all my wiring and go from there

6. fordmstng66

B&B thank you for all your help on this, i hooked up a ground from the solenoid to the neg on the battery, and the plow works. The lights do not change over, but i am probably guessing the ground in the control harness is fried, and that is why nothing is working the way it should. I did dis-connect the ground wire from close to the light harness and hook ground up to it, but still did not work, i could hear the module click when i did that, i will have to take the front apart again, and double check my wiring. Now i need to figure out if i am going to buy a new control harness, or just wire a jumper cable from battery to solenoid. I am sure the place that sold me the first solenoid will not replace that control harness for me, even though they sold me a faulty solenoid. Again thanks for the help.