1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western unimount problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Hotfeet, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Hotfeet

Hotfeet Member

So 1 of guys is plowing and blew out the old ring on the bottom of the pump. The bolts were loose so I figured they worked loose enough for the ring to be forced partially out. I replaced the o ring and refilled oil and motor runs but no plow movement. I took the motor off and checked/cleaned the screen. It wasn't very dirty at all. Still the same. I have checked all wiring and the solenoid. Like I said motor runs but not the plow. Wht am I missing? Help?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What oring are you talking about?
    There's technically 2 but not sure at all which one you said you replaced.
    And you DID? Take the motor out?

3. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Did you disconnect wires at the pump and reconnect everything correctly? Small ground wire also? Try disconnecting grill plugs cleaning and reconnecting. After that you'll need to check power and movement to the solenoids on the pump when activated by the controller.

4. Hotfeet

Hotfeet Member

I have been checking the connections and they seem good. But I will clean each one as I am not sure they are perfect. I changed one of the plugs at the grill with repair kit. I am not sure about these coils I was wondering about them. How do I know if the coils are working proper?
    Thanks for the reply.

5. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

If the motor is working, but the pump was loose, I would first ascertain that:

1: the fluid is up to level, and there are no obstructions, then
    2: the pump is properly installed, and is good.

6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

If you replaced the end are you sure you hooked up the wires correctly?
    There is a white with yellow tracer that can be mistaken for the plain white.

7. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

When energized you should hear them "click."

I have found it to be most useful to be methodical when repairing and troubleshooting.

You started off by stating that the plow was working fine, then the o ring shot off the pump, and the pump was loose. I would have simply replaced the o ring and fluid, and then checked for proper operation.

We are now discussing connections, solenoids and coils. Checking all of these three things is straightforward, but otherwise unnecessary if the original issue was the pump and o ring seal.

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You can check the coils with an ohm meter, should be only a few ohms. Usually if they fail they have infinite resistance (open) You can also jump them with 12V. They have a black / org common ground (if it's a straight blade) so just pull the other wire off and put a hot jumper on it. You should see a bit of a spark and hear the valve click. I also use a 9V transistor battery to t battery is enough to make the valve click.

I wonder the same thing as the other guys.... Did you do the plug replacement at the same time as the pump o-ring? If so then you have compounded your problems. I wonder if maybe some debris went down the pump outlet hole and got into the valves. I would put a pressure gauge on the test port on the valve block and see if the pump is building any pressure at all. If the pressure relief valve is stuck open then the pressure will bleed off causing what you are describing.

Even if your wiring is wrong and no valves are being activated pump pressure should make the plow jump to the right. It wont actually angle because fluid is being directed to the left ram but fluid is not being allowed out of the right one. But you should still see evidence of pump pressure. Did you mess with the pressure relief valve on the side of the pump when you had it apart? Did you have the pump apart and let the idler gear fall out?

9. Hotfeet

Hotfeet Member

So I found a small ring in the pump reservoir. It looks like a spring but in the shape of a circle. Where is it supposed to be? I have 1 rubber o ring still seated on the bottom of the pump.

10. dieselss

Pics would help....and answers as well. Seems like your dodging them all together.

11. Hotfeet

Hotfeet Member

Sorry I haven't figured out how to get a pics on this site. I will see if my wife can help.
    Also sorry I have been trying to follow your guys suggestions when I haven't been plowing.

Originally the base lug o ring blew out. I think it just rattled loose. We fixed that and it still didn't work. We looked at the pump to clean the screen. I wonder if perhaps we knocked this ring loose? Or something else happened?
    I have checked and cleaned all connections. The main power solenoid is good, the coils test at 0.0 on ohms.
    Let me try to get this photo uploaded.
    Thanks for all your help.

12. mishnick

Spare parts in the bottom of the reservoir??? Could have come from anywhere. Are you sure it's not just a lock washer? The assistance you receive here can only be as helpful as the information you provide us..... At this point you have not given us much to go on.

0.0 ohms on the coils? That means they are no good. Are you sure you are measuring correctly? Coils fail very rarely and they have not effect on pump pressure so focus on the pump first. Get that camera working as it will be a significant help.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  13. Hotfeet

Hotfeet Member

How do you post a photo on this site from your phone. Can't seem to do it...

14. mishnick

As far as I know you can't. You have to copy or e-mail them to your PC and then do it from that interface. At the bottom of the reply window there is a "go advanced" button. At the bottom of the advanced reply window there is an option to "manage attachments" where you can browse to your picture file and select it.

15. dieselss

Need to switch to desktop version.
    Upper right hand part of the browser

16. Hotfeet

Hotfeet Member

Thanks. My wife is trying. She's better at this than I.

17. mishnick

On my IPhone there is no option that I can find to select "desktop version."

18. Hotfeet

Hotfeet Member

Picture of O Ring

Here is the picture of what I found in the pump reservoir.

untitled (640x360).jpg

untitled (640x360).jpg

19. mishnick

That looks like a seal spring. There is one in the bottom of the pump motor. This little ring keeps constant pressure on the lip of the seal so as the rubber wears tension remains. There is no oil pressure on this seal, it's only for splash protection. This doesn't explain your loss of pressure.

20. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

So why did you change one end of the grill plug? Maybe other side has a issue also? Check power and continuity through all the wires.