1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Pro won't lift or angle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nesok, Jan 27, 2011.

1. nesok

nesok Junior Member

OK, here's the deal. This is the unit that's at my mom's ranch and it's making me nuts. Kind of nuts because it won't work, and REALLY nuts because I have to keep plowing her out with my truck when it snows.

Unimount Pro plow on an 85 F350

At the beginning of last season put on:
    New controller/ light harness
    New solenoid
    New controller
    New battery

And it worked well til the spring when it would intermittently decide to take the day off and not lift or angle. Motor would run, but no blade movement. Next day or an hour later, it would be fine. Now it doesn't want to work at all. The motor runs fine but the blade won't lift or angle. My kid pushed the joystick down while I was leaning on the ram and I almost broke my teeth when the ram went down at mach 10. I pulled the chain off the ram, had my kid lift on the controller while I pulled on the ram and it wouldn't go up.

I have drained and flushed all the fluid (ATF, had like a teaspoon of water in the reservoir).
    Replaced a seeping elbow on an angle line.
    Rebuilt main power and ground cables (I didn't like the way I could get wiggle out of them).
    Put in a new suction filter (old filter was pretty clean, had very little junk on it).
    I can spin the pump by hand while it's mounted.
    When I first pulled pump out, I could create suction or pressure against a latex glove while spinning it by hand.
    O-ring on the bottom looks nice.
    Motor spins quickly but doesn't sound loaded.
    Made sure that spade on pump is seated in the motor.
    The weather has been in the upper 40s and the truck is facing the sun.

After the pump sits for a day, it will jerk to the right about a half inch when you initially push up on the controller. I can't imagine that I have two valves that will stop working at the same time so I haven't looked at them, but?

Anyone have any ideas?
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I would see if the coils are getting power when you hit the controller. I am not a great mechanic, but to me if the motor is running it would be the pump or the valves aren't opening.
    Hope this helps let us know what you find out.
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad connection in the 9 pin plug at the grill. yes i am sure. have your boy run it while you move the plug back and forth and up and down.
  4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

This was my issue as well spray it out with brake clean and put some dielectric grease in the plug.
  5. nesok

nesok Junior Member

No Lead, I was kind of betting on it being electrical since it was intermittent, which is why I redid the power and ground lines. Never once did it occur to me that it would be in the 9-pin connection. If that's it, I'm going to feel like a total idiot. I'll wiggle test it tomorrow morning and post what happens.

Tony, if it isn't the plug, valves and coils will probably be my next course of action.

Thanks guys!
  6. nesok

nesok Junior Member

Brake clean. Dielectric grease. Got it.

Will update tomorrow morning.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the motor always runs then there was nothing wrong with the power cables. You were working on the wrong harness. Thumbs Up
  8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Hum, can I take a shot at this..

Let see,

change the fluid. Did you purge the air out of the system after you change the fluid and replace the filter? Or when you replace the filter and change the fluid, you raise the plow first instead of moving the the plow from left to right a couple of times before you raise the plow to purge the system?

"O" ring look good. "O" might be pinch or flat on one side and not sitting correctly!!

No lead, and B&B suggested, re-check the connector. This time use a pair of channel locks pliers and squeeze the "female plug" lightly to close the female terminals inside the plug to make a tight snug. Did you check the male connector to make sure there were no broken pins? Did you wiggle, twist, shake the 9 pin and see if the regain movement while your son was controlling the controller movements (keep your feet away from the plow)??

Did you check the "controller" connector under the dash (wiggle, shake) to see if you have plow movement?

Did you check the wires (small terminals) at the solenoid to make sure they are clean tight, not broken or hanging on by a single piece of wire?

Did you check the wires at the "S" valves to make sure A) none of the fell of their prongs or the wire itself crack in half?

Did you check the "black/orange" wire on the plow (ground wire) to make sure it was clean and tighten down for good ground connection?
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  9. nesok

nesok Junior Member

So it's official. I'm an idiot. I took the 9-pin apart and it was soaked. I dried it off, sprayed it with brake-clean, and put a little dielectric grease after I was sure it was dry. And guess what? I works like it should.

I totally reworked the wrong harness! But, in the meantime I know that everything else is how it should be for the rest of the season.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it! No Lead, I bow to your superior insight.
  10. twinman326

No lead you earn a beer and a snicker bar..Enjoy:drinkup:
  11. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

12. twinman326

Drink up boy..............