1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Power Angle Bracket Repair

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MTUJeeper, Nov 27, 2010.

1. MTUJeeper

MTUJeeper Junior Member

So I picked up a 1987 F250 Diesel with a Western Unimount Pro-Plow (good ole cable operated one). The angle iron bracket that the bolt goes through to allow the blade to pivot with the power angle is broken. I was going to cut it off and weld up a thicker one and put it on there with a longer bolt to make up for it being thicker. I was wondering if there is any better way to do this as someone told me it is common failure. This is the first plow I've ever owned, so any pictures and suggestions would be appreciated.

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

if its a cable operated pump. then its the conventional mount - meaning frame, pump, and lights remain on the truck, only the plow blade is removed. a unimount everything comes off together - plow blade, pump, frame, and lights.

i've owned several western conventional setups and never experienced the problem you are describing. but yes, it sounds as if welding on a new piece is the way to go.

post some pics of the problem area to be sure we understand what you are describing.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you are on the right track. just beef it up and bolt it together.