1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jokerace, Jan 13, 2016.

1. jokerace

jokerace Junior Member

Ok I seem to have some kind of intermittent problem with my blade when I start off plow works fine. As I start using it to plow and I angle to the right it will stick and will only raise and lower then if I hold the left angle down and hit some form of a bump in the road it seems to work again. But not for long! I have brand new rams on it seems to be electrical but not sure. I also have an aftermarket handheld controller (S.A.M.) 2 seasons old that is suspect but I was given a fairly new Western handheld and when I plug it in it will not power up same problem with Western joystick controller. Any Ideas or where to begin?
    Thank you! Checked for loose connections around relay seem to be tight

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Clean the multi pin connector out at the grill, nice and clean. Start there.

3. jokerace

jokerace Junior Member

Ok I did that once I will do it again and see if it helps I have suspected that is the problem that is why I cleaned it already. I need to find something to clean it real good with I did use battery terminal cleaner and a dental pick.

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

You have to be careful using any of the spray chemicals. I will use electrical cleaner, or starting fluid. Then blow out with air pressure. The electrical cleaner will damage plastic on bumpers, and will make the rubber hard on the connections. If the plow is acting up, have someone work the plow while you are playing with the plug. But be darn carful its easy to get hurt doing that.
    You are going to have to check for current at the magnets under the cover to be sure where your problems are.

5. jokerace

jokerace Junior Member

Yeah I was planning on it today but I went out and it is COLD! lol Yes air is a good idea I am hoping to get at it tomorrow if I had a garage I would be in it right now. I will post after I check the magnets and clean plugs real good. I appreciate your input I have also been reading on it in the troubleshooter today and I have another pump unit that is tore down so I will heat the shed up and get at that as well.

6. jokerace

jokerace Junior Member

I believe it to be the solenoid once I tap on the solenoid it moves fine I ordered one so we will see Thanks again

7. finh2o

finh2o Junior Member

How cold is it by you? I had the same problem last year. I put a salamander next to my reservoir and problem solved. My issue was water getting in and freezing

8. jokerace

jokerace Junior Member

Yeah I suspected water but I run the -25 fluid and right now the plow is working fine after I changed coil block from other pump so I suspect it to be the other coil block but I do have a new relay coming just in case it is that. I am in SE Michigan yesterday was 40 degrees today low 30sit was in the teens day before when I was still having problems with it. Need it to snow again and I will find out for sure. Fluid is all new as well!