1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Plow slow angling

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Wrobs101, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Wrobs101

Wrobs101 Junior Member

Hi all!

I have a Western 7'6" unimount plow. I have replace the 30 and 40 cartridges and solenoids, topped off the fluid and made sure all electrical connections are good. I also installed a new motor. I have have an issue with angling right, it seems to be very slow and sometimes stops halfway angling right. Angling left seems good and also up and down seems ok too. Please help!

Thanks in advance

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Welcome to the forum Wrobs.

That's mostly likely air in the cylinder, or, contamination in the crossover relief valve, or S1 or S2.

You say you topped off the fluids and changed 2 valves. Why?

Now is the perfect time for a clean and flush (actually before you install new valves).

3. Wrobs101

Wrobs101 Junior Member

I was trying to troubleshoot the problems. i knew s2 and s3 control left and right and the fluid was alittle low. Do you think a clogged suction screen could be the issue? Also, how do you get the air out of the cylinders?

4. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

A clogged screen would effect all hydraulics...making them act slower.

A proper flush of both lower rams will expunge the air. Or, as a shortcut for today you could just remove the right ram hose, place a coupler on the loose end, and manually swing the blade right once (it should be all the way to the left before you disconnect the hose). Do not swing back left w/o having the hose end submerged in fluid or you will introduce more air into the system. You will then have top off the fluid again.