1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount plow problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by apex809, Dec 11, 2010.

1. apex809

apex809 Junior Member
    from Boone

Have a western unimount plow. The problem is when i raise it. It settles back to the ground in 5-10 mins. I have checked the fluid level its ok. What else can it be? Thanks

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like you'll need to disassemble, clean, and inspect your cartridge valves. It's likely the S1 (powered with the LOWER function), or S3 (powered with RAISE function) cartridge that is damaged or contaminated, causing the lift cylinder to leak down. If the plow angles and operates properly otherwise, I would probably suspect the S1 cartridge.

http://library.westernplows.com/pdf/21936_120198.pdf

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Or it can the "gland" nut on the lift piston might be a little loose, or the seals are going bad..Try tighten the nut a little first..

4. brrybck

brrybck Junior Member

low on pressure

have cable operated pump only had 600 psi bought new pump for it still only have 600 psi

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a pic of a test you should try. Your looking to test S2 valve (2 way).
    s2lower.jpg

Make sure the valve spool. The valve might be sticking, or something might be inside the channel.. Do the test, and let us know what happen

s2lower.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010