1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western unimount plow joystick wiring

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ladyliberty, Oct 12, 2016.

1. ladyliberty

ladyliberty Junior Member

ok, so I've got a 2001 F250 with a Western unimount plow, and when I hooked it up, I had no power to the joystick. I replaced the solenoid, and somewhere I'm not getting any power. can anyone offer some advice or tips on things to check? the plow has the 2 plugs in the front, and the contoller runs from inside the truck, out the firewall, then tees off to the headlights, and over to the solenoid, where 2 wires come out of that, which plug into the solenoid.. what am I missing here?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Should be a wire under the dash that goes from harness to fusebox. Make sure you have power here when ignition is on.

3. ladyliberty

Yeah, It's a red wire, ran to a 30 amp fuse. I don't know what else to check

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Did you test for 12v power on that red wire... is there a white plastic fuse holder in line. Fuse good?

kimber750 likes this.
  5. ladyliberty

I did check fuse, it's black holder fuse is good. I'll double check the red wire!

6. kimber750

Take the fuse out and use test light to check the side that goes to the fuse box. Do you have power? If yes, know anyone with another control you can try. If no you have to figure out why there is no power.

ladyliberty and Philbilly2 like this.
  7. ladyliberty

OK, thank you so much!

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

That is a better way to ask what I was trying to ask you...

Thanks Kimber!

kimber750 and ladyliberty like this.
  9. ladyliberty

I appreciate everyone's help! I'm tying to get everything ready before the snow comes. This is the first time I've had problems that I can't figure out on my own. I've read manuals, diagrams, and I'm not getting anywhere. You guys are great, I'm going back out to it, so I'll be back shortly

10. ladyliberty

A big THANK YOU to Kimber and Philbilly for your help! the problem was the hidden fuse attached to the red wire! plow is up and running!! thanks again for your help, safe and happy plowing :)

Philbilly2 likes this.
  11. kimber750

Thumbs Up:drinkup: