1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western unimount plow drop took nearly 3 hours

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mylittlescoop, Feb 22, 2005.

1. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

Yesterday I dropped my plow. I have a Western Unimount . My pins were rusted in the metal and had an awful time getting them out. My cotters were rusted and they were not easy to get out at all. I soaked it with de rust nothing worked. I am not the strongest person in the world.
    I really am scared to hook the thing back up the right side was not to bad but the left...It was really hard.I had to use the quad and tied a rope around the a frame hooked it to the pin drove the quad forward to get both sides Now I am worried about getting the thing on again. Is there an easier way to re hook it up?
    The pivot would not turn itself out,every pin and piece that was supposed to be easy to get out was a night mare. omg I had to angle the plow to the right after I dropped it to get try to maneuver the black bolt that is suposed to pull off I tried yanking it loose with a hammer.It did not work until what seemed like anm endless battle. Now I am afraid what it is going to be like to get it back on becasue of hte way I had to angle the plow
    Please tell me if there is an easier way to do this. It is going to be hell when its time to re hook!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  2. Raydon

Raydon Member

Mylittlescoop,

Keep your chin up. Mine isn't a Western, but it took me awhile the first few times. You will get better at it and learn it's little quirks.

3. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Western Uni

How long has the plow been on the truck? If the pins were rusted in and wouldn't move, then I would guess that it has been on the truck awhile. Good reason to remove it when the snow is done. Either case, use a hammer (claw end) and hook the pin and kind of lightly yank out. Take that same hammer and give the pin a tap before trying to take out. It helps to jiggle the lightbar while taking out pin.

Good luck,

Jeff

4. mylittlescoop

from nj

Thats the worst part! I just got it all hooked up 3 months ago. The mount and pins were all brand new!

5. mylittlescoop

from nj

I did try the hammer thing but that black bolt where it connects to is what is making it so hard. The pins I got lucky with but the black blot on the side is what is giving me a problem . Is there an easy way to line the truck up to re hook?

6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

Try using a 2x4 or 4x4 to prop underneath the plow - lift this as you're trying to pull out the mount pins. My guess is that you set the plow down and the pressure of the plow weight/angle that you set it down at caused "binding". If you just relieve a little of this pressure, those pins will just slide out.

7. Peopleeater

Pins

So you had a hard time with the ones that hold the light bar in place? The ears go over the protrusion on the light bar and it pins? Tap the moving part (the ear) and jiggle the plow at same time as trying to slide off. Make sure to slide the ear off without cocking it or it won't want to come off.

Jeff

8. mylittlescoop

from nj

9. allabout

allabout Member

Make sure the lift ram is pushed down all the way before removing next time to release stress on the chain, you can use a small floor jack under the a-frame to keep it level for pin removal.

10. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

The little jack on the unimount is a piece of crap. I don't have it on my plow any more. I have it sitting on a piece of 6x6 tie. Line up the truck with the plow put a peace of 4x4 next to the angle cylinder. Then use a pick or a shale bar to lift the plow put in the pin. [It it not perfectly aliened put a big screw driver or a drift pin, in the hole so at lest 2 holes are a lined and hit the pin in with a Hammer.] Repeat for other side. hook up the links for the pump tower. plug in the electrical. Don't be afraid to use a big hammer. There is no way you can break the frame.

11. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

I lift the plow slightly by the chain with the plow pump, this takes the weight off of the pins and makes it MUCH easier to align them, and remove/install. Dont lift it to high, just get the weight off of it. I also grease the pins before I put them in, keeps it from rusting. And I use lynch pins instead of cotters, much easier to work with, and more secure.

Kevin

12. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I like to put anti sieze lubricant on everything, it is your friend.

13. mylittlescoop

from nj

wow This is all great advice! You will not believe this but the weather just said we have another big storm in the forcast I should have dropped the stupid thing 2 months ago I would have helped everyone out! We all would have gotten snow ! I swear I think I am a voo-doo doll in someones closet!
    Hey where can I pick up the lube stuff?
    Just PLEASE be on alert. If we are getting snow and they are seriouse I may have trouble getting it back on and may need you guys to talk me through it in case I get jammed up. I am only 138 lbs and 5'10 I am not vey strong becasue I have been in remission from lukemia the medication drains most of the strength out of me but I do do the VERY best I can ,however I am not going to put the plow on right away it may not snow if I do that it may never snow lol I took it off cuz I was gonna sell the truck but looks like I may have to rethink this

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  14. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

you can get anti seize from any auto parts store, you can get it in a tube or a little tub with a brush in the cap

just try to keep it off yourself, it can tend to be a bit hard to clean off skin and clothes.

while your at the auto parts store- pick up some dieletric grease for the connections on that western :salute:

15. mylittlescoop

from nj

Thanks! I am going to grab it tomorrow! I will be sure to be careful too! Thanks so much!

16. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

Due to all the trouble that you are having you may want to look into getting a conversion kit and converting your plow over to Western's new ultramount, the new style hitch kit that just became available. It would be much easier for you to use, as there is little to mess with, it works just like a reciever hitch basically, you just drive up to it and it guides itself on. Pull to shoes up and hook up your electrical. I know you said you are looking to sell your truck, you may want to look into it first or before you buy a new truck anyway. I know I love mine, it is a matter of seconds to get it on and off, and there isn't anything to get stuck either. I am almost positive that Western has a conversion kit though, you may want to check into it, or maybe another member knows what I am talking about and has some input. Just my idea!

17. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Pita

I know they can be a pain, especially being of the smaller persuasion (I'm 5'8" 140#). It can be daunting (who'da thought I use that word ona plow site, egads!)

I find swearing helps.

Use the jack, use a pry bar, use the never-seize grease, all of these help.

Especially the swearing.

If you can have someone run the controls to lift the plow, you'll hit the point where they will just pretty much slide out as you are taking the pressure off of the pins instead of whacking the piss out of it. Just use a wire brush, clean the rust of the parts, never seize then, and you should be good. Just watch how much sediment accumulates on the parts as they wil stick in that lube and be a PITA when you try to take them off/put them on (like dropping a bearing in the sand, grr.)

Good luck!

18. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

scrape or sand off loose rust then do what he said it is your friend . and don't be afraid of putting too much on just keep rag handy( for hands)

19. Peopleeater

Pins

I have a feeling she didn't push the lift cylinder all the way down. Pull the truck up to plow and plug it in. May have to actually have to touch the plow to mount for ground, but not sure. Once connected again, hold controller in down for a second to go into float mode, then go out and lean on top of the lift cylinder where the chain hooks. The cylinder should go back down. Also, when you release the light portion of the plow, look on the bottom of the crossbar, there are two tabs with one hole in each. The stand pin goes through these holes and a hold on the top of stand. Then you can take off the ones you were having a problem with. I am almost 100% sure that one of these are the problem.

Jeff

20. mylittlescoop

from nj

Thanks so much! All of you! We are getting 4 inches Thursday AND 2 more storms coming next week so I am tacling this tomorrow! Wish Me luck and I am sure I just jotted notes that I am bringing to the yard with me. I will let you know how this turns out tomorrow :) I think I have masterd swearing already LMAO I definately am going to go steo by step with my handy dandy notebook!
    THANKS THANKS THANKS!