1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount or Ultramount?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 86burban, Jan 29, 2004.

1. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I just picked up a 91 K5 Blazer for 500 bucks with a bad tranny. I put a new tranny in it and am ready to put a new plow on it. Im not sure which to go with. I have a buddy at the place where I got the mounts for my other truck that can get me a good deal on either plow. I just wanted to know which one you guys prefer?

Thanks,

Tony

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If you go with the uni-mount, that is all you can use. If you go with an ultra-mount, you can use either plow. The ultra has an adapter to allow you to use a uni-mount plow.

3. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I might just do that. Thanks.

Tony

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Go with the Ultra mount. For a few $100 more, the ease in which it goes on and off is worth it, plus you keep ground clearance in the summer. Make sure you get the E-force electrical/ harness system. No more relays going bad in the middle of the night. You should need mount #63900 and harness # 8439 if you have 2B/2d headlights

5. GPB

GPB Member

Go with the ultramount. It takes 30 seconds to hook up the plow. Ive had several unimounts, there nice plows, but they can be a pain to hook up by yourself.

6. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Burban,
    Watch that tranny in that Blazer. Guy before me put one mine before I bought it, and then I put two more in. I probably pushed too many big piles, but still the OD units were weaker. 2nd time around, I got tired of the BS and put in TH350, then it was a beast.

7. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I dont know, the 86 Suburban I had (hence the name) had an OD unit in it and I know the tranny was never replaced. I knew the original owner and it had 145k on it when I got it. I put about 60 k on it before the oil pump gave. The trans was still good. I routinely replace the fluid and filter every 6 months in anything I buy used and generally never have problems. I may just be lucky. I work for a car dealer and change cars like I do underwear and I always make sure they are gonna last me. I have a 700r4 in my Caprice that I got when I got when I was 15 and I put a tranny in it (thats how I got it, with a bad tranny) and I beat the royal dog crap out of it and its always been fine.

I guess thats either my luck, or my tranny guy is really good.

Tony

PS. I think Im gonna go get the ultra mount on saturday, after I install the tranny.

8. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Another thing, I found that driving in third and not in od when on the streets is best for not burning up the tranny so fast.

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

western ultra mount on in 30 sec

10. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Ultra mount is much faster, and easier.

My only complaint is that my ultra seems slower (all of the hydro functions) than my uni mount.

Wester dolly wheels help a lot on the uni mount(hocking it up to the truck)

11. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

ultra mount is not availble for 91 & older k5 blazers or suburbans,87& older r,v series . you need to get a unimount.

12. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I had a guy from the plow shop help me make some brackets to mount it to my truck. He came to my house and helped me wire it up and install it. I got the one for the older series chevy gmc pickup. It looks ok on there, just a little more modern than the truck. They wont honor the warranty on the frame since I modified it, but the guy who helped me put it on will.

It works really well.

Thanks,

Tony