1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western unimount on chevy 1500????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by truckinjoe22490, Oct 22, 2008.

1. truckinjoe22490

truckinjoe22490 Junior Member
    from ohio

hey guys. i bought a western 8' uni mount plow because i got a great deal on it. i have a 96 chevy 1500 and i was really curious if before i go though all the time of hooking it up if anyone would know how well it would do? can my truck handle this weight safely? give me your opinions please!!
  2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

It would work...however I think an 8' maybe a bit too much for a 1/2 ton to handle
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It will be fine if you upgrade torsion bars. I'm running what my guess is 3/4ton ones in my k1500 (code GH) and my 7.6 drops my truck about 3/4" if I crank them up a bit before winter.
  4. truckinjoe22490

truckinjoe22490 Junior Member
    from ohio

so do you think that i will really need to get heavier duty torsion bars? or just crank them things up
  5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

You should be fine with the stock ones. I run a 7'6" on mine with the same drop as Mark, and have a buddy that runs a 7'6" with wings on his 98, and sits just like mine. Just remember when you are plowing that it is a 1/2 ton truck, not a dozer or a battering ram and you should be fine.... Just watch things like ball joints and tie rod ends...
  6. Massimo

Massimo Junior Member

I did the same thing on my 2002 1500. It is too much. I upgraded the timbren (www.timbren.com/) and did nothing else. It is not too low, but it is heavy and a lot to push, especially with wet snow. My biggest problem is my truck overheats after drive 35-40 mph for 20 minutes. I really have to watch it. Right now I am looking to buy a poly plow as a replacement. FYI... I am not a commercial plower, I only plow my drive and parking lot.
  7. Tango

Tango Senior Member

I just put a Boss 7.6 Steel blade on my 2003 1500. The poly blade weighed about the same. First time I drove it the temp shot right up. I figured out that if I put the blade all the way up it blocked too much of the front grill not allowing enough air flow to the radiator. By dropping the plow down a couple of inch’s I have never had the running hot problem since. Just my experience but it might work for you.
  8. Massimo

Massimo Junior Member

I try to keep mine as loow as possible. It is only a couple of inches off the ground. It is really tall, though.
  9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

No, just give the t-bars a couple turns and you will be fine
  10. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

youll be ok i have a 98 and im going to pick up 8'6'' blade next week...i will be putting timbrens on it i already turned the tbars...good luck
  11. ktraver97ss

ktraver97ss Junior Member

Im doing fine this year with my boss 8' super duty on my 1/2 ton. Tbars cranked, timbrens, rear air bags and ~300# behind the axle. My engine temps stay below 210, and my trans below 180. I have a 28k trans cooler that i have not installed yet, but really i dont think i need it. I feel some strain on the power steering pump when im in 4wheel and i have to turn under power pushing snow. I might blow out a cv joint before the end of the year, but im not too worried about it.