1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western unimount on 2001 ford f350- Both the plow and truck headlights on?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Shop's Lawn, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

I have a 2001 ford f350 with the western uni mount two relay system.
    When hooked up the plow works perfect.

problem- the plow headlights and the truck headlights both stay on?
    Two brand new relays- cleaned and got corrision off connectors.

This is a used set-up but new install on this truck.
    Any suggestion?

Both my other 99-04 ford superduty's with uni mounts the trucks headlights shut off once you hook up plow.
    THanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you get the correct relays? You need the ones with an 87a pin on them. It would be a 5 pin relay.

3. Shop's Lawn

I know it has the 87 but not sure on the ( 87a ) - will check it out.

4. dieselss

Ok,,,keep us posted

5. Shop's Lawn

Ended up swapping and putting one of the orignal relay's that came with the harness on and it works, truck headlights did go off and plow lights stayed on- plowed alittle this last storm and worked out good. I looked at all 6 relays I have here and either they say nothing or just 87 on them- nothing with a 87a

6. dieselss

Hummmmm. Well you deff need the 87a relays

7. Shop's Lawn

Had some wires also pulling out of the connectors going to the relay due to corrision on them- replace all the connectors also. Parts store ran the parts number on one of the orignal relays that came with the harness and couldnt pull anything up for replacement so thats when I just got the ones they had that look and have the same amount of connector points in the same spots, these are the ones that left the plow lights and headlights on. They were only $4.50 a piece so figured I would try them.

8. dieselss

one thing to look for on the relays is the 87a circuit....just looking for some to show you...and ran into a bunch that have 2 87 pins....that could be your issue as well.

9. dieselss

10. Shop's Lawn

Thanks much for all your help and info! Will check to see what all my relays have printed on them.

11. Shop's Lawn

I thought I had it all figured out. Before I unhooked the plow the headlights on the truck turned off and the plow lights stayed on- now that I have unhooked the plow the truck headlights wont come on- the turn/running lamps turn on but no low beam or high beams. I did switch the two relays out to ones that do say 87a on them. Anyone lead me in the right direction to problem? I did check the fuses- they are good.

12. dieselss

Not to be rude, did you install the wires on the relays correctly?

13. Shop's Lawn

Not rude to ask- I did double check with the western manual to make sure I had them right. Lets make sure I have this correct and maybe its my problem- THe purple wire has to be spliced into the black wire on the passenger side of the truck correct? I think it was the black wire. Then the gray and brown went to the driver side running light? The western manual was unclear on the driver side with those two wires so I looked at one of my other trucks and its set up this way and works fine.

14. dieselss

No no no. The pass side pple (or grey I forgot) goes to the turn signal. I don't remember what the turn signal wire is right now. The drivers side. Brown is parking lights, and the grey or pple is drivers turn signal .

15. dieselss

16. dieselss

found the diag on page 15 sorry forgot to ad that

17. Shop's Lawn

All looks to be correct the way I have it hooked up. Hmmm- I do remember on one of the headlight connectors on the plow harness side the wire protector/coating was broke and could see wire but wire looked all good and not corrided or any strands broke, since it was right were the wires went into connector so I put liquid elec. tape on each wire so no more water could get in on the bare wires.I want to say it was on the passenger side. Possible those wires shorting out? but no blown fuses right now.

18. dieselss

well,,next step, ck for pwr at the relays. make sure you have headlights at 87a without the plow on.

19. Shop's Lawn

update- Plow is off of truck- headlight switch ON- Running lights are on but still no headlights, low or high beams. I have power at the green on one relay and yellow on the other. Those are the only two wires that have power. No power at the 87a connection point on the relay.

20. Shop's Lawn

On the passenger side of the truck- the orignal oem truck headlight connector that you disconnect and just stays disconnect with plow harness on- I do have power on that connector.